What GUI to Use and what EXIF version

Started by colink, November 21, 2015, 01:27:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colink

I am not a photographer and do not want to edit EXIF Camera information - so I hope you will not mind me being here.

My requirements are for single editing and bulk editing of Description and Origin EXIF Fields: Title, Subject, Tags, Comments, Authors and Copyright.

I really prefer a GUI rather than command line.

The forum contains information about the GUI interface which appears to be unsupported at this time and a little information about GUI2

Which of these two GUI or GUI2 will best suit my needs?

Where can I download either of them?

This download link on this page GUI Interface https://exiftool.org/gui/ links to this forum, not a download page

I am sure it must be obvious but on this page http://gui2-for-exiftool.weebly.com/  I can only find download links for documentation not GUI2

In either case, what version of ExifTool is compatible with GUI and GUI2?

Thanks Colin

Phil Harvey

Hi Colin,

Quote from: colink on November 21, 2015, 01:27:55 PM
Which of these two GUI or GUI2 will best suit my needs?

Maybe someone else can answer this.

QuoteThis download link on this page GUI Interface https://exiftool.org/gui/ links to this forum, not a download page

The download page is on this forum in this post.

QuoteI am sure it must be obvious but on this page http://gui2-for-exiftool.weebly.com/  I can only find download links for documentation not GUI2

It looks like the download is from page 2 of the site. (I got there from the pane on the left side of the page).  Both should work with the current version of exiftool.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Alan Clifford

This one should do it for you  http://fastphototagger.sourceforge.net/about.html

It seems a tad clunky at first but I think that is because it's Java.  I use this now.

You could set it up so only the metadata in which you are interested appears for editing.

I'm not sure what you mean by bulk editing.  If you mean 10 or 20 or so, than you can highlight those in the fastphototagger.  If you mean 10,000 or 20,000 or so, then I think you would be better with the command line.

colink

@Phil Thanks for the Links

@Alan - FastPhotoTagger - seems to be great for my needs. It is good that I can show and edit only the fields I want to update - it took a bit of investigation to find the fields that show up in properties in windows.

My bulk requirements will be max 20 at a time.

A couple of queries if you can help.

When I add fields to edit the order is not saved when program closes (open in a different order) - I assume this is not something I can control and requires coding by the author.

It seems that so save data to multiple images it needs to be manually entered, but not copied from one of the images. ie I open a 'Template' image with pre-populated fields (in the same folder as the files I want to update), it would be good to be able to copy that data to all images in the same folder - better still would be the ability to save template fields. Again, I assume this would require code changes.

Is there a forum or thread anywhere for discussion, suggestions, questions - I an only fond an email address for author on the help screen.

Thanks ColinK

Gary

There are a few more options to consider, if you want something to just edit typical XMP and IPTC metadata.

You could try Photo Mechanic. It is very good for bulk injecting of metadata. It may help you in your workflow in other ways, too. However; it does cost about $150 USD.

Another GUI option is to try GeoSetter. It's free and also has the ability to inject the metadata using ExifTool. However; I'm not sure it can do it in bulk.

The third option can be found on Phil's resource links on his main page. If I remember correctly there is a GUI program that allows you set up "recipes" of ExifTool commands and execute them by name. This is a free solution, but takes a little fiddling to set up the suite of commands you want. However, it will definitely do what you want in a "no-nonsense fashion" once you set up the "recipes". As for setting up the "recipes", they are just ExifTool commands and a post to the forum should get you all the help you need.

Hope this helps.

Alan Clifford

Quote from: colink on November 22, 2015, 08:18:17 AM

When I add fields to edit the order is not saved when program closes (open in a different order) - I assume this is not something I can control and requires coding by the author.

It seems that so save data to multiple images it needs to be manually entered, but not copied from one of the images. ie I open a 'Template' image with pre-populated fields (in the same folder as the files I want to update), it would be good to be able to copy that data to all images in the same folder - better still would be the ability to save template fields. Again, I assume this would require code changes.

Is there a forum or thread anywhere for discussion, suggestions, questions - I an only fond an email address for author on the help screen.

Thanks ColinK

Attached is a screen grab of my metadata set up.  I prefixed the screen labels with a number to try and force the order.  This mainly works except for number 4, which I've flagged as large, and large field are put at the bottom.  A bit irritating but a very minor problem for me.

I've not tried to use a template image like that.  I have copied a field from one image and then highlighed several images and pasted.  But that is a one filed at a time job.

I don't know of any discussion groups for the program.  I found it by searching the internet for a gui that would not meddle with the actual image when changing metadata.  Try emailing the author and I'd be happy to discuss it here I can be of any help.

colink

@Gary
Thanks, I did find Geotagger and intend to use it specifically for some images that require Geo Tagging. For my main needs I found the various fields were too spread out over several tabs. It might be possible to create a custom layout Like Fast Photo Tagger but I did not look very far.

@Alan
Apart from the little things we have both discussed I have found Fast Photo Tagger nearly perfect, thanks for pointing it out. I have just modified about 150 images in several folders extremely quickly. Regarding order of fields I think I will just change the order of fields in my spreadsheet where I am getting data from.

I particularly like the ability to modify just one or two fields in many images without changing other fields.

A big thanks to the Author Dennis Damico and to Phil Harvey for ExifTool

Gary

Your welcome.

I also learned about "Fast Photo Tagger", which could come in handy.