Main Menu

Google Maps Script Error

Started by hiviking, November 28, 2015, 02:20:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hiviking

Hi Bogdan,

I have been using ExiftoolGUI to geotag my images for years without any problems. However, the last couple of days I get a script error that prevents me from geotagging and necessitates that I force the program to close with the Windows Task Manager, as the script error keeps coming up and prevents the program from doing anything. The error states that the script error is in line 0 of http://maps.google.com/maps-api-v3/api/js/23/1/onion.js.

I have been using version 5.10 of ExiftoolGUI, so I downloaded the latest version (5.16), but it has the same problem. I hope you can fix this problem quickly. I also suggest that the Javascript error handling should be updated, so that a Javascript error cannot prevent the program from functioning.

Thank you.

PDL

I am having the same issue running Windows 10 Pro x64 v1511 (OS Build 10586.36) and Windows Vista x83. I can get the mapping tool to work for a few seconds then nothing but error messages when I pass the mouse over the map.

I am running the latest version of ExifTool and ExifTool GUI on both systems. I thought that using the Edge browser as default could be an issue, so I changed my Windows 10 Pro box to use IE. Same problem, it is not a browser issue.

Please let us know when this issue is resolved, or if it will ever be resolved.
Please let the user decide on the mapping solution, Google, Bing, etc. so we can get back to geo locating images that are now decades old.

PDL

PDL

I do not have a Google account and I refuse to get one so I can not respond to the Google thread listed below.

https://code.google.com/p/gmaps-api-issues/issues/detail?id=9004

There seem to be some other applications showing the same error and this discussion throws a little light on what might be going on...

PDL

Tom Waugh

Yep. I am having the same problem. When I try to geotag an image or images, the programme would display a script and the only way to close the programme would be to use the Task manager.

I downloaded the newest versions of Exifgui and exifguitool and checked "enable internet access for Google map" then save settings.

Upon exiting the programme I get a message saying "cannot save gui settings"

Hope a fix can soon be found.
Choose a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life.

zyx_Ex

The first thing I noticed (Win 7) was that the pin locating the image on the map did not show up anymore. After some minutes, the error message appears and needs the killing by the task manager.
It is a great disadvantage if you depend on Google ...

almeidass

Hey Guys I have the same problem here and I discovered, at least at WIN7, that the error stops if you don't put the mouse cursor over the area map.

Try closing the error window and donĀ“t put the mouse over the map. You set the exact coordinates by searching the location in a google maps window in you prefered web browser and pasting it in the approppriate place in the "find:" text box inside ExifToolGui.

Then just click the button "Geotag Files". But be carefull not to put the mouse cursor over the map, otherwise you'll get the script error.

PDL

I tried the same thing, almeidass, but the locations do not come out the same. I tested both Google Maps and Bing Maps to extract the GPS Coordinates and entered the values into the ExifToolGui coordinate field and updated multiple files. I then loaded the images into my RAW converter of choice (Capture One Pro v9x) and clicked on the GPS location. Google Maps opened up in the right spot - er sort of. The coordinates are anywhere from a 100 meters off to several Kilometers. Your suggestion is a work around but in my opinion the best thing to do is use another program to geotag your images.

The base issue is with Google changing its Map API and ExifToolGui not getting updated. I realize that doing this would/could be a lot of work, however in the long run it would be beneficial to all.

This will most likely get me banned, but I use GeoSetter, a GUI tool that uses ExifTool as its base background engine.

PDL

Phil Harvey

Quote from: PDL on March 10, 2016, 05:32:42 PM
This will most likely get me banned, but I use GeoSetter,

You'll have to try a lot harder than that if you want to get banned. :P
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

zyx_Ex

> the error stops if you don't put the mouse cursor over the area map.

this does not work "around"
- the pin does not show
- the location may be in the center, but the map is too small - and in order to zoom in, I have to click '+' and so put the mouse in the map - with instantaneous 'script error'

I only recently had discovered ExifToolGUI as a quick convienient possibility to view the location of a photo ...
I don't want to geotag, only do "read only" actions. What are similar alternatives in freeware ?

StarGeek

Quote from: zyx_Ex on March 27, 2016, 02:20:53 AM
I only recently had discovered ExifToolGUI as a quick convienient possibility to view the location of a photo ...
I don't want to geotag, only do "read only" actions. What are similar alternatives in freeware ?

I can't think of any that would be read only.  Usually, programs which access gps locations are either editors or photo management.  But here's what I know off hand.

Geosetter  Basically an Exiftool gui with emphasis on gps
Windows Photo Gallery, Photo management
Picasa,  Photo management, going away soon
Digikam, photo management
Irfanview, Will show in browser or google earth,
FastStone, I think this will show in browser or google earth, no built in gps viewer
Xnview, Similar to FastStone, I think.

Google shows others, though it's hard to say how many will have built in viewer.  Linking to Google maps seems to be a standard in simple image viewers.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Alan Clifford

Quote from: zyx_Ex on March 27, 2016, 02:20:53 AM

Nikonview nx-i will show the location of photos on a map.

zyx_Ex

Geosetter - although five years old !! - does show the pin on the Google map, without any script error. It also reads the data from the .CR2 out of my Canon 6D (astonishing !).
- Irfanview / FastStone: I could not find the function
- Nikonview seems inaccessible to me

Thanks very much

StarGeek

Quote from: zyx_Ex on March 28, 2016, 12:43:24 PM
Geosetter - although five years old !! - does show the pin on the Google map, without any script error. It also reads the data from the .CR2 out of my Canon 6D (astonishing !).

It uses ExifTool for all the metadata stuff.  It's also pretty decent for just adding metadata.

Quote- Irfanview / FastStone: I could not find the function

I'm not sure about FastStone, but it's sorta hidden in Irfanview.  Image Menu -> Information -> Exif Info button.  Or hit I then E.  You'll then have these options:
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

zyx_Ex

Aha ...
It is not accessible from the Thumbnail view I always use, but only from the main image window. It works perfectly with OpenStreetMap and also with Google.
'Show in GeoHack-Wiki' is also great, I didn't know this one :-o)

Irfan Skiljan is generally very talented and very engaged. If there is any problem, you get an instant reply from him - also in German.
N.B., off-topic did you know there is also an OCR module hidden in IrfanView ?? (not for photos ...)

Heiko

StarGeek, just for you info:
GeoSetter is using ExifTool for writing metadata; for reading GeoSetter is using own code.