URGENT - I seriously need help

Started by DLynch, December 07, 2015, 04:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DLynch

This semester in photo school I shot both analog and digital and now that I'm on finals I have submit my work. I'm okay on the digital end, but for some of my analog I'll be submitting the teacher requires per school policy metadata, and I have not been able to input the most important, which is the capture data, etc. I just went into Bridge a week ago to do it but not all of the fields are editable. I did it once before but cannot for life of me find the site that helped me do it.

So here I am. And I'm not really into computer programming language. So I need help with that.

I have Windows 10 on my computer. exiftool(-k).exe was taken from the Zip file and placed on my desktop as is. Can someone PLEASE help me through this?

After my finals are over, I'm also going to see if I can go about fixing these damn memory cards that keep getting corrupted. Am I able to find help with that here, too. I have three of them, and I hate to throw them away.

Finally, how do I contact Phil directly? I don't YET see the README file he's talking about. Unless I'm just so nervous I can't see straight.

Thanks, Dylan

StarGeek

QuoteFinally, how do I contact Phil directly? I don't YET see the README file he's talking about. Unless I'm just so nervous I can't see straight.

Phil is currently away and won't be back for a few more days.  You can can PM him on the forums.  The readme file is probably in the main distribution, not in the windows download, which is just the executable file.

To be honest, in this case, I would suggest looking into some other software for this.  The fact that you need it urgently, are using Windows 10 (some people have reported problems with running ExifTool on Windows 10), and don't seem to be familiar with the command line all set a high bar for doing it quickly. 

Some suggestions would be Irfanview, Windows Photo Gallery, Picasa, or Xnview.  I believe they all can write various metadata into the files and have a GUI to edit the info with.

Otherwise, if you know what metadata you need to write to the files, we can certainly try and help you out with some commands.

* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

DLynch

I will look into all the options. In the meantime, I need to write all my camera data including my shooting data, date, etc. Looking at my notes I shot many of my film photos using my Nikon F5 from November 15, 2015, at 3:30 PM, for example, till early last week, with various ISO settings.

Can address from my previous email if I installed the software properly??

Also, I just came back in after looking more closely at my metadata. I just noticed in my digital pictures my camera shows the serial number. I don't think I want to put that into my analog scans. But just curious how I get rid of that or put it in when necessary. I think all my instructor wants is the capture data.

Thanks for your quick response.