Writing PhaseOne MakerNotes

Started by alepheiffel, September 28, 2015, 05:04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alepheiffel

Hi Phil,

Could the Phase One maker notes be made writable in a future release, or is there something preventing this with the IIQ format ?

As you know they put a lot of things in this bloc, and I'd really like to experiment with some Phase One and PhaseOne SensorCalibration tags (colormatrix, flatfield, linearization values, etc).
Thanks for reading.

Best,
Aleph

Phil Harvey

Hi Aleph,

I looked at an IIQ file to see why ExifTool won't write the maker notes.  The thing that scares me is the raw data is stored in the maker notes of these files, which may be the reason why I haven't added write support yet.  But also, I only have two IIQ sample from two models (P40+ and P45+), which is certainly not enough to thoroughly test any writing feature.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

alepheiffel

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your answer.

Indeed, Phase One puts all the interesting stuffs in the maker notes.
If you want to have a look, I can prepare a couple of files from my IQ back as well as some from Leaf Credos (Leaf dropped the .MOS format and switched to IIQ in 2012) and send you a download link.

Best,
Aleph

Phil Harvey

Hi Aleph,

Thanks.  Any IIQ samples you have from other models and/or software would be appreciated.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

alepheiffel

Hi Phil,

PM sent with a link to various IIQ files. Will try to get some more if needed.

Aleph

Phil Harvey

Hi Aleph,

I got the samples, thanks!

- Phil

alepheiffel

Hi Phil,

If you need more files or someone to test, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Best,
Alpeh

Phil Harvey

Hi Aleph,

Thanks for the offer.  What platform are you using?  (Hoping it is Mac or Linux because it is more work for me to produce a Windows version for testing.)

- Phil

alepheiffel

Hi Phil,

An OSX version is fine, I have access to 10.10 and 10.11 systems.

Alpeh

alepheiffel

Hello Phil,

There have been new models released as well as firmware updates. I can probably try and get you some files if still needed.

Best,
Aleph

Phil Harvey

Hi Aleph,

Files from new models would be appreciated.  This is top of my to-do list but I haven't had much time recently to work on this.

- Phil

Phil Harvey

I have just made a 10.08 pre-release available here.  This version has the ability to write the PhaseOne maker notes.  It would be great if you got a chance to test this out before the official release in a week or so.

- Phil

alepheiffel

Hi Phil,

That's great, I will test over the weekend and report back. I managed to get files from some newer backs too, not all of them though.

Aleph

c++

Hi Phil,

I'll hijack this thread as the question I have fits well in this sequence that does not seem to have been completed back then.

I am copying all meta data from RAW images to interpolated Tiff images. In case of Phase One *.IIQ files I just found that I copy the actual RAW image along with the maker notes.
When opening the Tiff in Photoshop the RAW data is encountered and Camera RAW opens the file on that basis - ignoring the Tiff as a consequence.
Ther eis a specialized PS > File > Open As > Tiff command that circumvents this but...

I would thus like to be able to either remove the RAW data from the maker notes or copy everything but that.

Didn't get that to work. The only thing I could do was:
exiftool -MakerNotePhaseOne= *.IIQ

That is kind of desperate...  There is stuff in there I'd like to keep - like:

| | | 40) FirmwareVersions = P40+-M, Firmware: Main=4.8.8, Boot=2.3, FPGA=1.1.9, CPLD[snip]
  | | |     - Tag 0x0301 (100 bytes, string[100])
  | | | 41) Software = Camera back, Main firmware: 4.8.8
  | | |     - Tag 0x0203 (36 bytes, string[36])
  | | | 42) System = Digital Camera Back
  | | |     - Tag 0x0204 (36 bytes, string[36])
  | | | 43) SerialNumber = EG021076
  | | |     - Tag 0x0102 (16 bytes, string[16])
  | | | 44) ShutterSpeedValue = 9.64385986328125
  | | |     - Tag 0x0400 (4 bytes, float[1])
  | | | 45) ApertureValue = 6
  | | |     - Tag 0x0401 (4 bytes, float[1])
  | | | 46) ExposureCompensation = 0
  | | |     - Tag 0x0402 (4 bytes, float[1])
  | | | 47) FocalLength = 150
  | | |     - Tag 0x0403 (4 bytes, float[1])

Phil Harvey

Thanks for the suggestion.

I should be able to make it so that the raw data isn't copied to other files.  I'll test this when I get a chance.

- Phil