Looking for web hosting that supports ExifTool

Started by gld64, February 05, 2016, 10:58:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gld64

My website is hosted by SiteGround. My website is a hobby. I keep family info and old photos. I wrote many Perl scripts, but now I want a Perl script that can read a JPEG's metadata, namely the description, ex: Mom and Dad at Niagara Falls. My script gives an error as soon as I add the use Image::ExifTool statement.  The help agent at SiteGround says they only offer ExifTool to really expensive plans: $200/mth.  So I'm wondering where else I could have my website hosted?  Or was that agent mistaken, and can ExifTool be used on any web hosting server?

#!/usr/bin/perl
use Image::ExifTool qw(:Public);

StarGeek

It really depends on the web hosting service.  Some will have it or let you upload the necessary files yourself, some won't.  For example, I have a domain at Dreamhost.com and they have Exiftool available as an executable as well as the perl library. If I want, I can even upload or compile my own programs there, within limits.  I just paid $214 for the next 2 years, so that's a little less than $9/month, which fits well within my budget.  You just have to look around and see what options are available.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Phil Harvey

All you need is a host that allows you to run CGI scripts.  ExifTool is pure Perl, so you don't need to compile or install it -- you can run it just like any other Perl script (provided you set the @INC directories properly).  The site doesn't need to support ExifTool specifically.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).