News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

exiftool not modifying files *newbie*

Started by Mariano Tello, February 12, 2016, 03:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mariano Tello

Hi everyone.
I'm really confused here. It's my first test in my computer and i'm trying to modify all dates of a sample mov file.
I execute the command (exiftool "-AllDates=1986:11:05 12:00:00" c:\vid.mov)  and receive the message: file updated.
But when i go to the file it has the original date.
What i'm doing wrong?  :o

Hayo Baan

First of all, you're looking at the file modification date, not dates in the metadata (which is what you change with your command).
Besides, -AllDates only changes a couple of the common date fields. If you want to change other tags, you have to additionally specify them. Be warned too though that write support for video is a bit limited and depends of the actual video file format.

To check if exiftool did anything to your file run e.g., exiftool -AllDates, or just exiftool, on the file.

Hayo Baan – Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Mariano Tello

You are right!
I thought the AllDates would change all of the, but after reviewing it more closely I noticed it just changes some. I used the other tags and now it works.

Thanks!!!

Phil Harvey

If you really want to try to set all date/time tags, you can write Time:All, but this is almost never what is wanted.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Mariano Tello