News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

PDF XMP tag

Started by Chris, March 08, 2016, 10:25:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

Hi,

Exiftool write well a value in a XMP tag. But I can't see this value in ACROBAT PRO, the tag is empty.

could you help me ?

thanks

Phil Harvey

This is FAQ 3.  Try writing the tag in Acrobat Pro, then use ExifTool with -a -G1 to see where the information was written, then write it to the same place with ExifTool.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Chris

Hi Phil,

Thank you for your response.

I've  tried it, but it doesn't work : I write a value in ACROBAT PRO, then I write another value with Exiftool. And eventually, when I re-open the PDF file with ACROBAT the value is empty !

Phil Harvey

It would be helpful if you could be more specific.  What was the exact command that you used?

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Chris

Hi,

I write a value in the TAG "Publisher" like this in the PDF file ("cidd.pdf") :
"exiftool -Publisher=titi cidd.pdf"
When I look with this command line :
"exiftool -a -G1 cidd.pdf" it's OK. (like the capture1.png)
But when I look with ACROBAT PRO, the TAg is empty. (like the capture2.png)

(TAG XMP "Publisher" = TAG "Emetteur" in ACROBAT PRO)

Hayo Baan

Can you upload the same file after you have entered the publisher (emetteur) in Acrobat Pro? That will help us identify the cause.
Hayo Baan – Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

StarGeek

A quick scan of a pile of PDFs I have turned up two other Publisher tags, XMP-pdfx:Publisher and PDF:Publisher.  Try writing to both of those to see if they are the ones you want.  For example:
exiftool -XMP-pdfx:Publisher="Use XMP-pdfx:Publisher" -PDF:Publisher="Use PDF:Publisher" cidd.pdf

Then open it up in Adobe and see if either value is there.  Use the tag name you see. 
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Chris

None of those commands works. (see capture3.pgn)

In the PDF, with Acrobat, I write "This is my TAG Publisher" in "emetteur".

Thanks

Phil Harvey

In your sample, the publisher is stored in XMP-dc:Publisher:

> exiftool ~/Desktop/cidd.pdf -G1 | grep TAG
[XMP-dc]        Publisher                       : This is my TAG Publisher

But it is written incorrectly.  ExifTool fixes this when you rewrite it:

> exiftool ~/Desktop/cidd.pdf -publisher=phil -v3
Writing XMP-dc:Publisher
======== /Users/phil/Desktop/cidd.pdf
Rewriting /Users/phil/Desktop/cidd.pdf...
  Editing tags in: PDF XMP
  Creating tags in: PDF XMP
  Rewriting XMP
  Warning = [minor] Fixed incorrect list type for XMP-dc:Publisher
    - XMP-dc:Publisher-x-default = 'This is my TAG Publisher'
    + XMP-dc:Publisher = 'phil'
Warning: [minor] Fixed incorrect list type for XMP-dc:Publisher - /Users/phil/Desktop/cidd.pdf
    1 image files updated

When you do this, what does Acrobat Pro show for the publisher metadata?

Did Acrobat Pro write the original Publisher value?  If so, you should submit a bug report to Adobe because their own XMP specification states that dc:publisher should be an unordered (bag) list, but it is written incorrectly as a lang-alt list.  I hope this isn't the reason it won't read the value written by ExifTool, because getting Adobe to fix their software may be difficult.  I used to be able to do this, but the turn-over rate of their top-level people is too high, and as a result I have lost most of my contacts at Adobe.

I downloaded the Acrobat Pro DC trial version, and it shows the publisher as written by ExifTool in the "Advanced" section of the "Additional Metadata" properties:

- Phil

Chris

Hi Phil,

It's the same thing like you.
I think it's done...

A last question : In french, we have stressed letters like "é" "à"....
instead of stressed letters, Exiftool write "?". Is it possible to write stressed letters ?

Thanks for your help.

Phil Harvey

Yes.  See FAQs 10 and 18 for help with this.

- Phil