Started by heawon, April 27, 2016, 03:57:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

heawon

Corrupt CR2 files... recoverable? JPG preview looks to be corrupt as well

CR2 file - https://www.dropbox.com/s/69f0zmofc0enkuc/443C6264.CR2?dl=0
JPG preview file - https://www.dropbox.com/s/xnwlhcckd2aaxfi/443C6266.jpg?dl=0

Thanks in advance Phil

Phil Harvey

Unfortunate.  Most of the data is there, so with a lot of pain and hand-poking you may be able to recover this image, but it would be a lot of work for each image you want to recover.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

simon 1

Hi Phil

I have some CR2 from saturday that cannot be open what part of the software would i use to open it.

sorry to resurrect an old thread but basically they had the same issue.

Thanks
Simon

Phil Harvey

Hi Simon,

Each case is different, but usually the best result you can hope for is to recover the full-sized embedded JPEG image.  Send me a sample and I'll take a look.  My email is philharvey66 at gmail.com

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Phil Harvey

Hi Simon,

Bad news:

> exiftool ~/Desktop/IMG_5734.CR2
ExifTool Version Number         : 11.02
File Name                       : IMG_5734.CR2
Directory                       : /Users/phil/Desktop
File Size                       : 23 MB
File Modification Date/Time     : 2018:06:08 08:07:58-04:00
File Access Date/Time           : 2018:06:11 12:32:39-04:00
File Inode Change Date/Time     : 2018:06:11 12:32:39-04:00
File Permissions                : rwxrwxrwx
Error                           : Entire file is binary 0xff's
Base Name                       : IMG_5734
File Extension                  : CR2

The error says it all. :(

I've seen this type of corruption before.  Unfortunately, nothing may be recovered from a file like this.

A good hint that it doesn't contain any useful image data is that the file zipped down to just 38 kB.

- Phil

simon 1

hi

i thought that as i put several others through, and as you say it was too big for my email account to send it and when i compressed it it was small.

thanks for your time Phil