News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

Differing GPS Data

Started by aaronTL, May 03, 2016, 02:44:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aaronTL

Hi All

Please excuse me for barging in here and asking questions immediately. If this is inappropriate, please delete.

I have two images that show:
GPS
GPS Latitude Ref
South
GPS Latitude
36.916367 degrees
GPS Longitude Ref
East
GPS Longitude
174.840850 degrees
GPS Altitude Ref
Below Sea Level
GPS Altitude
0.7496337891 m
GPS Time Stamp
20:14:24
GPS Speed Ref
km/h
GPS Speed
N/A
GPS Img Direction Ref
True North
GPS Img Direction
GPS Dest Bearing Ref
True North
GPS Dest Bearing
GPS Date Stamp
2016:04:27
GPS_0x001f

AND:

Make
Apple
Model
iPhone 6s Plus
Aperture
Exposure Time
1/17 (0.0588235294118 sec)
Focal Length
4.2 mm
Flash
Auto, Did not fire
File Size
971 kB
File Type
JPEG
MIME Type
image/jpeg
Image Width
Image Height
Encoding Process
Baseline DCT, Huffman coding
Bits Per Sample
Color Components
X Resolution
Y Resolution
Software
YCbCr Sub Sampling
YCbCr4:2:0 (2 2)
YCbCr Positioning
Centered
Exposure Program
Program AE
Date and Time (Original)
2016:04:28 08:14:24

Can anyone advise why the date/time from the GPS data differs from the date/time of the other data? Can this change by itself or would it have been modified?

Thanks for your time.

StarGeek

The difference in time should be the same as your time zone difference.  GPS timestamps are set for +0 UTC.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

aaronTL

Thanks StarGeek, so me being in New Zealand, the timestamp on the GPS data should be -12 hours from the timestamp for the create date?

Phil Harvey

I'm wondering if ExifTool should add a "Z" to the time to make this more clear.  (I wonder what this would break though.)

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Alan Clifford

Quote from: Phil Harvey on May 03, 2016, 03:32:40 PM
I'm wondering if ExifTool should add a "Z" to the time to make this more clear.  (I wonder what this would break though.)

- Phil

Then the questions would become, "What does Z mean?"  Which is quite legitimate if you are not familiar with all the terminology.

Phil Harvey

Quote from: Alan Clifford on May 03, 2016, 06:28:11 PM
Then the questions would become, "What does Z mean?"  Which is quite legitimate if you are not familiar with all the terminology.

Right.  Better leave it alone.  I did however add a note in the tag name documentation to make it clear this is a UTC time.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

Quote from: aaronTL on May 03, 2016, 03:11:12 PM
Thanks StarGeek, so me being in New Zealand, the timestamp on the GPS data should be -12 hours from the timestamp for the create date?

That sounds about right.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).