Previous topic - Next topic

gea_tool

Having just installed Perl on OS X (it's still "OS X", until September) via:

curl -L https://cpanmin.us | perl - -l ~/perl5 App::cpanminus local::lib

AND

cpan App::cpanminus

and ExifTool via the GUI pkg AND cpan Image::ExifTool

I was ready to run a small script, but ran into the following error:

Can't locate Image/ExifTool.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /opt/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.9/darwin-2level /opt/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.9 /opt/local/lib/perl5/site_perl /opt/local/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.9/darwin-2level /opt/local/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.9 /opt/local/lib/perl5/vendor_perl /opt/local/lib/perl5/5.8.9/darwin-2level /opt/local/lib/perl5/5.8.9 .) at test1.pl line 3.

That code being:

use strict;   
use warnings;
use Image::ExifTool;

Looking online I found the following help:

1) install exiftool so the libraries are in the standard location (read the instructions in the README).

2) if the exiftool 'lib' directory is in the same directory as your main script, you can use the following code in your script to set things up properly

ref: https://exiftool.org/forum/index.php?topic=1467.0

But I don't really understand that, installing Perl was confusing enough.

Any idea?

Thanks!

Phil Harvey

You didn't need to install Perl on OS X.  It comes standard.

You installed Image::ExifTool using "sudo make install"?

If so, then Image::ExifTool should have been installed somewhere in the @INC path.  If it wasn't, then perhaps things were messed up somehow by your re-installation of Perl.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

gea_tool

I reinstalled ExifTool from the pkg file, but still the error persists, what would be the next step do you think?

I'm really stuck, I don't know what I'm doing. I found the hidden "opt" folder and looking at the "lib" sub folder I don't see ExifTool. I tried reinstalling it and it didn't work, I don't know how I got into this mess, are there Terminal commands to install it manually into the correct location please?

Thanks again!

Phil Harvey

The terminal commands you should follow are listed in the Unix install instructions.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).