I think I may have a character set problem???

Started by Spilly, November 12, 2016, 01:31:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spilly

(I'm using a Windows system and have read, but not really understood the FAQ about codepages)

I renamed a photo of my granddaughter, who is named Esmée.  I create the "é" (e acute) by Alt+ Num Keypad 130.

The filename returned in the ExifTool output has expanded the é into the two characters  é  so her name has become Esmée
(just in case they don't render properly on other systems, a capital A with a ~ above, then a Copyright symbol)

Can anyone tell me why? 
and how to fix?

spilly

StarGeek

Quote from: Spilly on November 12, 2016, 01:31:10 PM
Can anyone tell me why? 

The why is that windows command line is really terrible with regards to many characters other than you basic ASCII characters.

Quoteand how to fix?

You can try what's mentioned in FAQ 18.  Hopefully it'll work for you.  For me, unfortunately, it doesn't fix things things for me.  If it doesn't work for you, you can try adding -L to your command and it should make the output more readable.

* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Spilly

Thank you very much indeed!

I hadn't spotted the -L option which fixed the issue 100%

I confess I've glazed over on the subject of code pages, so am very happy to remain in blissful ignorance of all the issues of character sets

Thanks again - and so quickly too

Spilly