iPhone Camera Roll cannot recognize some Dates

Started by potatoestomatos, June 25, 2016, 06:59:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

potatoestomatos

Hi everyone,

I need help changing my PNG, MOV and JPG files EXIF so that my iPhone can recognize the dates.
I am a noob at using EXIF Tool as this is all command prompt, so I'm not sure where to open a folder for example.

So on my iPhone Camera Roll, when I copy PNGs and MOVs into my Camera Roll, the date appears as "Today." However, the actual date the photo is taken is "Date Modified." Is there a way to copy the Date Modified into Date Taken? (If Possible) Or copy Date Modified into Date Created? (Since PNGs are weird) I researched and found that there is no actual Date Taken attribute, but Date Time Original.

For JPGs, the Camera Roll recognizes the order if the Date Taken is filled in, but some of my files don't have that filled in. However, Date Modified can be used for Date Taken. Is there a way to copy Date Modified into Date Taken?

Sorry if this is confusing. If only this was already an option in other programs.

Phil Harvey

I would suggest trying something like this:

exiftool "-filemodifydate<createdate" "-filemodifydate<datetimeoriginal" DIR

This will set the filesystem modification date/time from the metadata.  I suspect this is the date that was changed when you copied the files.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

potatoestomatos

Hi Phil,

This command works for JPGs and MOVs.

Now I just need to figure out how to preserve the PNGs Creation Date during copying because copying changes the dates to current system time, resulting in my iPhone reading it as "Today."

EDIT:
So I just figured out a simpler solution in transferring my photos to my iPhone.
I created a RAR file using Store compression, transferred the RAR file onto my iPhone using iFunBox, extracted it on my iPhone using iFile, deleted Photos.sqlite so the Photos app restores, reboot my iPhone then it appears in order without any EXIF editing!

Well some files have Date Taken empty, so I'll use EXIFTool to edit those outliers.

Thank you Phil, although I didn't need to use EXIFTool at all, I learned how to use Command Prompt for the first time.  :)