News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

Read and Write to Microsoft Office documents metadata

Started by TheBigOnion, April 19, 2016, 10:27:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBigOnion

Hi, does anyone know how I can write metadata to a Microsoft office document?  doc, docx, xls, xlsx, etc.

Phil Harvey

"With Microsoft Office" would be the obvious answer.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

TheBigOnion

Yes, but I need to do it programatically on a Linux box.  I would like to be able to use Exiftool if possible.

Phil Harvey

Right.  Well I can only say that ExifTool won't do this for you.  Sorry, but I'm not familiar with any software to do this.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Phil Harvey

It's a cost/benefit problem.  The cost is my time and effort adding the feature, and the benefit is to the people who would find this useful.

Since I can't recall anyone ever requesting this feature before, the benefit would be low.

- Phil

bertalanimre

Dear Phil,

I would like to raise my hand for requesting this function.  ::) Currently I have to clean indd, pdf, docx and xlsx files but the 2 last ones are seemingly impossible for me. Exiftool is a very brilliant and handy tool, I love to use it. Thank you for it. It is just, would be even more awsome if it could clean the MS Office files as well. I find the data in it disturbing for some documents I wish to work with.

Thanks again!

Bert

Phil Harvey

Hi Bert,

Noted.

But I should also point out that ExifTool doesn't clean PDF files.  See point number 2 here.

- Phil

Jeff_Leger

Good morning,

For some business reasons, I'd like managing XMP in .docx and .xlsx.
Since these formats are wrappers (.zip with a different extension), I supposed at first it is not too much complicated...

Unfortunately, it seems that Word/Excel cannot display, edit and even keep custom XML (as it was the case in early 2007), for patent reasons.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6577713/word-2010-custom-xml
https://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2009/12/22/On-Custom-XML
If you have more up to date informations, don't hesitate to share them.

Regards,

Jeff