Exiftool takes forever on specific mp4 video files in Linux; works fine in OSX

Started by tim-kos, August 09, 2016, 04:50:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tim-kos

Here is the file:

[file link removed]

This is the command:

exiftool -VideoBitrate# -AudioBitrate# -Preroll# -PlayDuration# -Duration# -GPSLongitude# -GPSLatitude# -All --PageImage --History* --Manifest* -coordFormat %.6f -x ThumbnailsSpreadsImage -x PreviewsSpreadsBase64_data -x IngredientsMaskMarkers -x IngredientsDocumentID -x IngredientsInstanceID -x PantryHistoryChanged -x IngredientsFromPart -x IngredientsToPart -x IngredientsFilePath -x IngredientsPartMapping -x IngredientsInstanceID -x IngredientsFromPart -x IngredientsToPart -x Extracted-textStoriesNFKC_UTF8_Zlib_Base64 -x FpoinfoImagesFPOinfo -x ImageinfoDocPath -x ImageinfoImagesFullpath -x PantryNativeDigest -x DocumentAncestors -x FpoinfoImages -j no_mime.mp4

Works fine on OSX, but takes forever in Linux Ubuntu Trusty. Any ideas?

PH Edit: Removed link to sample file as requested.

Phil Harvey

It works fine for me in Linux (2.6.32-573.8.1.el6.x86_64) provided I quote the arguments with the stars (*).  Could this be your problem?

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

tim-kos

I tried both '--History*' and --'History*' (same for Manifest, too), but without luck in both cases. :/

tim-kos

Hey Phil,

I assume you have downloaded the file. Can you please edit it out of my original topic text? It's from a customer's customer and our customer is uncomfortable it being out there. Thank you in advance.

Phil Harvey

Odd.  Could you narrow down the problem a bit?  Does it take a long time to just extract metadata without any arguments?  (ie. exiftool FILE)  If not, then what argument(s) are causing the slow down?

Also, what version of Linux are you using (uname -r)?

Quote from: tim-kos on August 10, 2016, 05:22:37 AM
Can you please edit it out of my original topic text?

Done.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

tim-kos

Hey Phil,

it already craps out at just exiftool FILE.

`uname -r` gives "3.16.0-30-generic". Does this help?

Phil Harvey

I was just wondering if you were using an older or newer version of Linux.  Looks like newer.

I suspect this is a memory allocation problem, but I can't prove it.  If ExifTool tries to allocate enough memory to force your system into memory-swap hell, then this could potentially happen.  Maybe watching the "top" output to see what the memory and CPU are doing while ExifTool is running.

- Phil

tim-kos

Hey Phil,

memory stays fine, but CPU goes to 100% right away and stays there. Please see the attached screenshot.

Phil Harvey

Is there any way you can give me access to your system so I can debug this?  My email is philharvey66 at gmail.com

- Phil