Change lens type

Started by chenchmarcos, August 02, 2016, 06:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chenchmarcos

Hello,

I have a mac and I'm trying to change the lens type to use digital photo proffessional lens correction.

I'm trying to put the CANON EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II into the exif data from a tamron 18-270, but i can't find the correct command to write in the Terminal. Could someone write the command and i will only change the document location?

Thank you very much.

Sergio

Phil Harvey

Hi Sergio,

Try this:

exiftool -lenstype="Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II" -lensmodel="CANON EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II" FILE

(I'm assuming that Canon capitalizes their name in EXIF LensModel, but ExifTool doesn't in the LensType string.)

But then you should also change FocalLength and/or FNumber and related tags if the lens was outside the parameters of the EF-S.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

DT

My Canon lenses don't have a 'Canon' in the Lensmodel-tag:

The tags are for instance

"EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM"
"EF50mm f/1.4 USM"
"EF70-200mm f/4L IS USM"

chenchmarcos

Thank's for both, but it doesn't work, Digital Photo Professional doesn't recognize the lens

Hayo Baan

I'm sure you are not setting one of the lens variables correctly for DPP to recognise it. Do you have an image taken with the Canon lens so you can compare? Apart from those variables, things like focal length and (max) aperture come into play as wel...

Having said that, I do not up understand why you would want to change the tamron into a canon lens. The lens distortions will not be the same so the corrections will not be compatible either...
Hayo Baan – Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

DT

I am not sure whether I am allowed to write this in the forum (if not - please erase this post).

DxO is giving DxO OpticsPro 9 Elite away for free (till end of August). (windows & mac version).
So you could do lens correction and raw processing with that program.

Phil Harvey

Of course there is nothing wrong with mentioning other metadata software here.  It would be a good idea to grab it while it's free.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

DT

Okay - here is the link:

http://www.dxo.com/de/profifoto

Only the website is in German. You have to enter your e-mail-address (and click on 'Absenden') and an email with download link and an activation key will be sent to you.
The program itself can be installed also in English.

Hayo Baan

Quote from: DT on August 09, 2016, 02:40:33 AM
Okay - here is the link:

http://www.dxo.com/de/profifoto

Only the website is in German. You have to enter your e-mail-address (and click on 'Absenden') and an email with download link and an activation key will be sent to you.
The program itself can be installed also in English.

Just for completeness: DxO OpticsPro 9 Elite is not the current version of the program (the current version is 11) so check the mentioned PDF to see if your camera is supported.
Hayo Baan – Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

chenchmarcos

Quote from: Hayo Baan on August 08, 2016, 01:55:32 AM
I'm sure you are not setting one of the lens variables correctly for DPP to recognise it. Do you have an image taken with the Canon lens so you can compare? Apart from those variables, things like focal length and (max) aperture come into play as wel...

Having said that, I do not up understand why you would want to change the tamron into a canon lens. The lens distortions will not be the same so the corrections will not be compatible either...

I've seen a comparison before-after with that configuration and DPP makes a good job, but the tutorial is in a PC :(

Thanks, i'm going to compare with other variables..