ImageStabilization/Sharpness/SpotMetering - verbose output vs non-verbose

Started by sridharb, August 12, 2016, 03:34:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sridharb

I would like to understand the difference between values returned with the verbose option and those without.

I am attaching the output of exiftool -a of two images along with the second file containing the output of exiftool -a -v3 on those same images.

Specifically, I see ImageStabilization reported as -1 in the verbose output and not reported at all in the "normal" output.

In both these images, ImageStabilization was not available and thus, I understand the "normal" output to be "correct".

How am I to interpret the verbose output?

Is FFFF some kind of default value stored in fields that are not used and thus those values should be "discarded" or ignored?

For Sharpness, it is a more interesting question. The normal output returns a sharpness of 3 - which is correct. The verbose output returns 7FFF (or 32767). How is this translated to 3?

Thanks,
Sridhar

Phil Harvey

Hi Sridhar,

Some values in the metadata indicate "not applicable" or similar.  Typically these are -1.  The -v output shows these raw values, but ExifTool may sometimes choose to not generate a tag when this happens.  For a bit more insight, see the Value Conversions section of the "Under the Hood" of ExifTool page.

To answer the Sharpness question:  There is more than one Sharpness tag in your file.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).