News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

"Link" between Facebook description field and metadata of photos

Started by comy, August 31, 2016, 12:52:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

comy

Hi there,
i'm trying to find a way to upload a bunch of photos in a Facebook album in a way like this....
I have my photos on computer named something like: 01.september.2016_0001, and so on until la last .... _0138. I would like that when i upload them on album this name to be preserved on facebook as a description on each photo. Like that is easy to find them.
I know there are a small program that do this: Easy Photo Uploader and I guess they use a metadata field from photo to keep that name as a description.
Is there a way to do that? Which is that field?
Thanks for any help!

Cosmin

StarGeek

It's been awhile since I've uploaded a pic with metadata to facebook, but I faintly remember that Headline, Description(/Caption-abstract?) and a copyright tag were imported.  But it's easy enough to test.  Upload a photo with a lot of metadata filled out and set it to private. 

Since I have such a test photo, I tried it out.  Each tag in my test file is filled with the name of the tag.  The result was that it copied IPTC:Headline, a blank line, and then IPTC:Caption-Abstract into the Facebook description field.  Also, even though there was GPS data and timestamp, it didn't copy either from the file.  No copyright tag was imported.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

comy

Wow! Thanks for the fast answer!
I think you are right. I uploaded a photo with headline tag completed and it show that info on FB.
Right now i try to find a way to use exiftool to extract name from file name and insert it into headline

All the best!
Cosmin

StarGeek

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

comy

Thanks but it's not working...
But probably it's me, for sure i'm not doing something right

Phil Harvey

What exact command did you use, and what messages did exiftool give?

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

comy

Hello,
i've managed the above syntax to work.
For some reason when the directory name contain spaces it doesn't work. I've change the directory name without spaces and it's all done.
Thank you for your help!

Phil Harvey

You must put quotes around the directory name if it contains spaces.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

comy

Hi guys!
Again i need some advice...
I'm pretty sure that above command is working as it should be, but i believe that something had changed in the last months.
When i upload photos on Facebook, the headline is not shown anymore as it written from command. The only info that it's available it says
"Add a description"
My guess is that EXIF or IPTC field on Facebook had changed somehow and i don't know the corespondent

Any ideas?
Thanks!!

StarGeek

I just tested FB with my test image that has about 1,400 metadata tags filled out.  The only tag it recognized was the orientation tag, as it correctly rotated the image.  FB didn't read any other tag and didn't show anything in the description.

It looks like Facebook is just ignoring all tags now.

comy

This is weird!! There is a program out there called Easy photo uploader, that one of my friends uses.
In Pro version, it offers exactly what i want so it;s something that i don't understand. Why they can and we cannot? It could be possible to have some kind of arrangement with FB?

Thanks anyway for your effort! I'll keep trying to find some info related.

StarGeek

Looking through Easy photo uploader's forum, it find this thread which shows how you can fill the description however you want.  I'd say it's pretty clear that Easy photo uploader is setting the description and not something that Facebook is doing.

comy

That means to me there should be possible to update that "description" field by use of exiftool. But which is the field?
I saw that recently was done a revision of IPTC standards... Maybe there is the key

Hayo Baan

I think you misunderstood Stargeek's comment. NO image metadata is involved in setting the Facebook description, that is done purely by the easy photo application (which is using the Facebook API). This is NOT something you can do or influence with exiftool.
Hayo Baan – Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl