Main Menu

Hi Guys,

Started by tehvlb, October 17, 2016, 06:18:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tehvlb

hey guys.

Thanks for making the Exif tool, been working with it to sort out my images along with Lightroom.

I always try to search for solutions before asking as i know you are busy but this has got me stumped.

I am trying to follow the guide here https://ryanmo.co/2014/09/28/exiftool-cheatsheet/  to allow me to find files that dont have any date in the exif. I just cant understand how to run the commands

for example,

the first example on that site is "exiftool -filename -filemodifydate -createdate -r -if '(not $datetimeoriginal) and $filetype eq "JPEG"' ." which should Find images in a directory that don't have a DateTimeOriginal.

but when i run it i get

C:\Windows>exiftool -filename -filemodifydate -createdate -r -if '(not $datetimeoriginal) and $filetype eq "JPEG"' .
File not found: $datetimeoriginal)
File not found: and
File not found: $filetype
File not found: eq
File not found: JPEG'

I have tweeted the poster but i am awaiting his reply.

any help on how to acheive this (and how i can follow the other commands on that site) would be great as they are exactly what i need to do.

thank you so much

Phil Harvey

You need to use double quotes in Windows (see my signature)

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

tehvlb

Hi Phil

Thanks for the response

I am typing

Z:\>"exiftool(-k).exe" "-filename" "-filemodifydate" "-createdate" -r -if "(not $datetimeoriginal)" and "$filetype" eq "JPEG"

Z:\ is the root of my pictures

but i still get

File not found: $datetimeoriginal)
File not found: and
File not found: $filetype
File not found: eq
File not found: JPEG

sorry if this is a stupid question

EDIT** have tried different placements of "" but dont seem to be able to get it right

have tried

Z:\>"exiftool(-k).exe" "-filename" "-filemodifydate" "-createdate" -r -if (not "$datetimeoriginal") and "$filetype" eq "JPEG"
Z:\>"exiftool(-k).exe" "-filename" "-filemodifydate" "-createdate" -r -if "(not $datetimeoriginal)" and "$filetype" eq "JPEG"

Further Edit*

if i use

Z:\>"exiftool(-k).exe" -filename -filemodifydate -createdate -r -if "(not $datetimeoriginal) and $filetype eq "JPEG""  (which i guess you were referring to as substituting the ' with " i get a different error

No file specified

Think i need to specify the directory at the end.

thanks your help

Phil Harvey

Nice try, but you seem to have gone overboard with the quotes.  Try this:

"exiftool(-k).exe" -filename -filemodifydate -createdate -r -if "(not $datetimeoriginal) and $filetype eq 'JPEG'" .

Or I would recommend this if all JPEG files have the extension "jpg" or "jpeg" (in upper or lower case):

"exiftool(-k).exe" -filename -filemodifydate -createdate -r -if "not $datetimeoriginal" -ext jpg -ext jpeg .

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

tehvlb

awesome thank you once again