Main Menu

Add New IPTC Tags?

Started by pixeldroid, November 12, 2016, 07:00:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pixeldroid

Hello:
I am trying to create custom IPTC tags.  I'm probably missing something simple.
Looking elsewhere on your site, I found a thread explaining how to add custom IPTC tags by adding them to a config file.  This worked, but the tags written do not have the description that I need.
For example to add a tag "Title", I used:
'Image::ExifTool::IPTC::ApplicationRecord' => {
    # Example 4.  IPTC:NewIPTCTag
    160 => {
        Name => 'Title',
        Format => 'string[0,75]',
    },

This worked, but the command
exiftool -config "C:\Program Files (x86)\exiftool\exif_custom.cfg" -Title="Title of This Image" "myImage.jpg"
created the tag:
PTC Application Record 160: Title of This Image

Using Adobe Bridge, I've been able to add the tags that I need, namely "Object Name", "By-line" and "Caption-Abstract".
After creating those tags, I can edit them in exifTool:

exiftool  -ObjectName="myName" -By-line="Authored By" -Caption-Abstract="My Description.  Blah, blah, blah"  "myImage.jpg"

I tried a few other ideas in the config file, but I'm sure I'm messing up my image.  Could you tell me how I can create those IPTC tags?
Thanks.

Phil Harvey

I don't know why you are trying to create custom IPTC tags.  The IPTC tags you mention (ObjectName, Caption-Abstract and By-line) are part of the IPTC standard.   ExifTool can create them if they don't exist (as well as edit them as you discovered).

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

pixeldroid

Duh.
I told you I was probably missing something simple...
Thanks.