News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

Video File Mess

Started by BangkokPhoto, November 14, 2016, 10:43:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BangkokPhoto

Over the years I have shot countless videos with over 20 bodies. For the most part these were AVCHD videos.... every body started at 00001.mts... A few "emergency backups" and misguided lightroom import/exports.... Now I have a duplicate mess on my hands. For some reason Lightroom cannot recognize the Camera model from the exif data in the .mts files even though exiftool shows the .mts contains the camera model. Can I use EXIFTool to make Lightroom recognize the camera model in the .MTS files?

Phil Harvey

This will only work if Lightroom supports using sidecar XMP files for MTS videos because ExifTool can not write MTS videos directly.  See example 1 here for how to create an XMP sidecar file.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

BangkokPhoto

I don't think XMP sidecars will be an option here. Across 5 sony, 7 Panasonic bodies the default video was used .mts... They all started 00001.mts and went up from there; lightroom thinks they are dups and in some cases they are dupes. I let this happen for too long and now I have a mess. Im just looking to get them organized and into 1 directory and perhaps have sub-directories for the bodies??? any recommendations/advice?

The Model Name is in the mts files, exiftool sees it... I dont know why lightroom cannot see this exif data. I experimented around with .mov in Olympus and some avi in gopro; lightroom cannot see the exifdata in those files either.

Can Exiftool rename .mts files? Does anyone know of a video format lightroom can read the exif data from, perhaps I can use handbrake to convert them?

Phil Harvey

I suggest renaming by model name and date, maybe something like this:

exiftool -d %Y%m%d-%H%M%S "-filename<${datetimeoriginal}-${model;}%-c.%e" -ext mts DIR

I can't answer your question about what metadata Lightroom can read.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).