News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

Changing only the timezone

Started by js29pub, November 26, 2016, 03:51:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil Harvey

Sorry if I have been throwing out random ideas here, but I don't have time right now to read the whole thread in detail.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

ragnor

Quote from: StarGeek on April 10, 2019, 12:30:54 PM
As I said in my first response, the time stamp is supposed to be in UTC according to the spec.  Windows, for once, is actually reading the data correctly.  But other programs might not.  I'm not sure how Google Photos reads it.

You have to decide based upon what programs you use and how they read the timestamp if you want it to be technically correct and set to UTC time or set it the actual, local time it was shot.
Not sure if I understood correctly.
The time on my GoPro is synchronized with my phone. So it´s adjusted as the time in my timezone, and then assumed that it´s UTC in the timestamp.
I can correct that manually in the camera, using the time minus my time zone, but then tags for photos will be wrong.

@Phil: quicktimeutc option shows indeed the incorrect time + the timezone.

PS: now with the daylight hour change it´s even more messy, as now the new videos are +2.

StarGeek

Quote from: ragnor on April 10, 2019, 12:59:06 PM
The time on my GoPro is synchronized with my phone. So it´s adjusted as the time in my timezone, and then assumed that it´s UTC in the timestamp.
I can correct that manually in the camera, using the time minus my time zone, but then tags for photos will be wrong.

And there lies the problem between video metadata timestamps and photo metadata timestamps.  The video time is supposed to be UTC according to the spec.  The photo time is supposed to be local time.  If you're taking both at the same time, one of them is going to be technically wrong, unless the software understands the difference, which is unlikely.  So you're going to have to correct one or the other.

Hayo's post shows you how to subtract an hour from the video timestamps.  I would expand upon that to include all the video timestamps with this command:
exiftool -quicktime:*Date-=1 GX011182.MP4
which would subtract 1 hour from the time in the file.  Change as needed.

* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

ragnor

Thanks for the comprehensive explanation!
It seems weird though that this only happens with GoPro. I never had this problem before with other cameras.

I will follow your advice and change the dates on the videos then.

Hayo Baan

Quote from: ragnor on April 10, 2019, 02:22:43 PM
It seems weird though that this only happens with GoPro. I never had this problem before with other cameras.

I guess that's because most (?) cameras likely add time zone information into the relevant tags. Your GoPro sadly does not.
Hayo Baan – Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

ragnor

Quote from: Hayo Baan on April 10, 2019, 02:39:58 PM
Quote from: ragnor on April 10, 2019, 02:22:43 PM

I guess that's because most (?) cameras likely add time zone information into the relevant tags. Your GoPro sadly does not.
So no way to add tags in the near future?

Phil Harvey

Specifically, what tag(s) do you want to add?

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

ragnor

I guess a Timezone tag would solve the issue, or am I missing something else?

Phil Harvey

The QuickTime TimeZone tag is stored in a very weird location, and as such it won't be a high priority to add support for being able to create this tag.  So don't expect this in the near future.

I wish that video metadata was more standardized.  Even if I add the ability to write this, most other software probably won't read it.

- Phil

Hayo Baan

Hi Phil,

How about the TimeOffset tags instead?
Hayo Baan – Photography

Phil Harvey

Quote from: Hayo Baan on April 11, 2019, 01:26:16 PM
How about the TimeOffset tags instead?

You mean the EXIF OffsetTimeXxxx tags?  Nothing but ExifTool will read these from a video, so writing them won't be much use.

The first QuickTime tags that will be creatable in videos will be the ItemList and UserData tags.

- Phil

Hayo Baan

Quote from: Phil Harvey on April 11, 2019, 04:22:59 PM
You mean the EXIF OffsetTimeXxxx tags?  Nothing but ExifTool will read these from a video, so writing them won't be much use.
Yes, I meant those. Interesting that no one seems to read these... They are written by some cameras though (I've seen a capture from a Canon 1D X that has these tags). Note though that they aren't writeable in MP4 files at the moment by exiftool. Since they are simple (fixed length?) string tags in the EXIF block, I figured they shouldn't be too hard to support?

Quote from: Phil Harvey on April 11, 2019, 04:22:59 PM
The first QuickTime tags that will be creatable in videos will be the ItemList and UserData tags.

Excellent!
Hayo Baan – Photography

Phil Harvey

Quote from: Hayo Baan on April 11, 2019, 10:32:50 PM
Note though that they aren't writeable in MP4 files at the moment by exiftool. Since they are simple (fixed length?) string tags in the EXIF block, I figured they shouldn't be too hard to support?

Right.  I will be able to add support for editing existing EXIF without too much trouble, but I won't add the ability to create new EXIF in videos if it didn't already exist.

- Phil