Digital Creation Date

Started by johnb, February 10, 2017, 11:40:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnb

Lightroom seems to add "Digital Creation Date" to my input NEF images when they are imported. Exiftool does not report this key being present in the original NEF files. I have encountered a problem with some exported files from Lightroom in which the "Digital Creation Date" has a date approximately 11 hours prior to the "Creation Date" in the NEF files. I am not sure what I did to cause this problem. The original images were taken with the camera set 11 hours off, but the images referenced by lightroom are images for which I had fixed the time using Exiftool. I did this 3 years ago and am now working with the images again. When I start a new Lightroom session and import the NEF images referenced by the old Lightroom session, the "Digital Creation Date" is the same as the "Date Created". Unfortunately, I spent considerable time modifying 1200 images 3 years ago.

I wanted to fix all the dates in the lightroom exports. The "-DateTimeOriginal>AllDates" method did not correct the "Digital Creation Date" key values, but did correct all the other dates in the files. I can manually change the "Digital Creation Date" keyword values using the '>' syntax, but need to do this for both "date" and "time". Should AllDates correct these "Digital" keyword values?

I also tried to delete the "Digital" keywords, but I could not get Exiftool to do this. I may be using the wrong syntax?
    -keywords-=IPTC:DigitalCreationDate

I do have a way to fix my problem using "-DateTimeOriginal>AllDates" and also

-DateTimeOriginal>DigitalCreationDate  and  -DateTimeOriginal>DigitalCreationTime

Is there a more efficient way to do this and do you have any insight into these "Digital" keywords?

Thank you for the help

StarGeek

The AllDates is a shortcut that affects only three tags (see Shortcuts to see which tags).  It won't affect DigitalCreationTime or DigitalCreationTime.

If you want to simply clear out those tags, use
exiftool -DigitalCreationDate= -DigitalCreationTime= FileOrDir

But these are Tags, they're not keywords, so you can't remove them by way of the Keywords tag.

You're probably fine either way you go, correcting or removing.  You can also put all three fixes on a single command
exiftool "-DateTimeOriginal>DigitalCreationDate" "-DateTimeOriginal>DigitalCreationTime" "-DateTimeOriginal>AllDates" FileOrDir

The best option would probably use the top level directory and add the recurse option -r.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

johnb

Thank you very much for the help.