Detecting if an EXE file is x86 or x64

Started by DavidGDFC, May 24, 2017, 03:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidGDFC

Hello,

I've been using EXIFtool for a long time and today I decided to register in the forum to ask a question.

I often use EXIFtool to determine whether a programme is x86 or x64. Today I was doing some testing and I got a strange result when reading
Greenshot.exe (see programme on http://getgreenshot.org/downloads/).

According to the About section of programme, it's x64, and it's, in fact, installed in <Program Files> instead of <Program Files(x86)>. However, EXIFtool 10.53 says it's x86.

Thank you in advance for your help and congratulations on this great piece of software!

Phil Harvey

The MachineType in the PE COFF header indicates an Intel 386 or later, so ExifTool reports this as 32-bit.  According to this post, this should work.  Perhaps try some of the other methods shown here to see what they say.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

DavidGDFC

Hi, Phil,

Thank you very much for your quick answer and excuse me for my late response. I appreciate the information you've provided.

The advantage of using EXIFTool is that you don't need to run the application to know whether it's x86 or x64. If I understood well, the developer didn't write the correct information on the EXE file and that's why EXIFTool displays x86 instead of x64. I guess I could write to the developer to make them know.

David

StarGeek

Quote from: Phil Harvey on May 25, 2017, 07:33:25 AMPerhaps try some of the other methods shown here to see what they say.

I downloaded the program mentioned and tested it with the methods mentioned in that link.  Windows classifies the program as 64 bit.   Exiftool 10.55 returns it as Win32 EXE.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

DavidGDFC

Hello,

Thank you for your testing. I only wanted to say that Win32 (file type) corresponds to both x86 and x64 (machine type). EXIFTool shows "Win32 EXE" for file type and "Intel 386 or later, and compatibles" (x86) for machine type. I've double-checked and I'm using the 64-bit version of the programme.

Phil Harvey

I still want to look at this in more detail to see what is going on.  It would be useful if you could send me Greenshot.exe for testing (your download link gives me an installer and I don't want to run the installer).  Zipped would be best.  My email is philharvey66 at gmail.com

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

DavidGDFC

Hello, Phil,

Thank you: I've just sent you the file.

Phil Harvey

I got the file, thanks.  I'll see what I can do to identify it properly, but this will take some work.

- Phil

DavidGDFC

Hi, Phil,

I was wondering if there's been any progress on this issue.

Thanks for your time!

Regards!

Phil Harvey

No progress yet, sorry.  I did a bit of research so far but didn't find anything useful.

- Phil

DavidGDFC

Phil Harvey

This is still on my list to look into in more detail, but the time scale at this point is months since I am about to go on a 3 week vacation starting monday.

- Phil

DavidGDFC

Hello, Phil,

I hope you don't mind me asking if there are any updates about the issue. I suppose it's not a big deal for people using EXIF, but it would be nice to know that the detection of the x86 or x64 architecture is accurate.

Thank you for your time.

Regards,

David

Phil Harvey

Hi David,

Thanks for reminding me.  I'll bump this up on my to-do list.

- Phil