How to remove som autogenerated tags from ExifTool

Started by andersnordh, April 18, 2021, 09:38:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andersnordh

Hey guys I have problem with removing the tag thats called processing software (it shows jExifGui 1.81)
How do I remove it ?

I have used the gui and changed the data i wanted....
and i have also removed the 0x000b tag and changed the the xmptoolkit tag using the command:
exiftool IMG.jpg -xmptoolkit="XMP Core 5.4.0" -software=

How do I remove the "processing software" tag  ?

best regards.

StarGeek

Try adding this to your command
-ProcessingSoftware=
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

andersnordh

Quote from: StarGeek on April 18, 2021, 10:49:18 AM
Try adding this to your command
-ProcessingSoftware=

Yes i have tried that.
Is "Processingsoftware" the same as "Processing software" (with space between the words).

?

StarGeek

Read FAQ #2.  Run the command in FAQ #3 to figure out the tag name that you need to remove if ProcessingSoftware isn't the correct one.

You probably need to run the command on the command line as jExifGui might still add the tag even if you try to remove it.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

andersnordh

Thanks.
worked much better without  the GUI.
only one "small thing" .

the changed exif looks like the original file  except one little thing... the order of the tags.

XMPToolkit
CreatorTool
DateCreated

is the order on the "original exif" (or what you can call it)

XMPToolkit
DateCreated
CreatorTool

is the order in the "changed exif"

How do I solve this.....

The command I have entered in order is:

exiftool.exe -ModifyDate=y:m:d:h:m:s -DateTimeOriginal=y:m:d:h:m:s -CreateDate=y:m:d:h:m:s -xmptoolkit=VALUE -SubSecCreateDate=y:m:d:h:m:s.ms -SubSecDateTimeOriginal=y:m:d:h:m:s.ms -ProcessingSoftware= <PATH TO FILE>

StarGeek

Why do you feel you need to do this?

Basically, you can't. This is FAQ #13a.
    When ExifTool writes an image, the meta information may be restructured in such a way that it takes less space than in the original file, or so that some tags are stored at different offsets in the file.

You can use the -sort option to alphabetize it the output but the order will otherwise never be guaranteed.

edit: clarification

Phil Harvey

ExifTool always writes XMP in alphabetical order.  The -sort option that StarGeek mentioned applies to reading metadata only.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

andersnordh

Quote from: StarGeek on April 18, 2021, 04:48:02 PM
Why do you feel you need to do this?

Basically, you can't. This is FAQ #13a.
    When ExifTool writes an image, the meta information may be restructured in such a way that it takes less space than in the original file, or so that some tags are stored at different offsets in the file.

You can use the -sort option to alphabetize it the output but the order will otherwise never be guaranteed.

edit: clarification

If someone looked at the file maby they would think it would be changed (that the image have a structual exif order) and if the structual is changed then then it can indicate that the exifdata have been changed ?
Or am I overthinking  ?

Alan Clifford

Quote from: andersnordh on April 19, 2021, 02:21:04 AM

If someone looked at the file maby they would think it would be changed (that the image have a structual exif order) and if the structual is changed then then it can indicate that the exifdata have been changed ?
Or am I overthinking  ?

The meta data has been changed.  You removed the processingsoftware tag.

StarGeek

Quote from: andersnordh on April 19, 2021, 02:21:04 AM

They would have to have the original image to compare the order to.  And at that point they would already be able to know if something has changed.  It's certainly not something that would fool anyone who would be able to dig into the structure of the metadata itself anyway.