News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

Copying all meta data from raw- to jpg-file via drag and drop

Started by pemiwi, May 25, 2017, 05:53:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pemiwi

Hello I'm new here and I would be glad if somebody could help me!

In my photo processing workflow in a first step I create tif-files from raws (*.nef) that are used in a next software as input. For some shots I use Lightroom as an alternative to my standard-sw in the first step.
Due to Lightroom writing meta data in a somehow different way to the tifs my second step sw has a problem and doesn't work correctly.
Using the exiftoolgui I experienced that everything works fine if I copy all meta data from nef-file to Lightroom-tif-file. The bitter pill is  that now my workflow is very uncomfortable.
I know that exiftool offers also the possibility to place it on the desktop fitted with some parameters in its name like exiftool(-k -a -u -g1 -w txt).exe so you can drop files to process out of any directory and the corresponding output file gets stored in the source directory.
Now it would be perfect to my workflow if it was possible to fit exiftool with a parameter string so it works as follows:
I drop a nef-file on exiftool desktop icon as sourcefile out of any directory and exiftool copies all meta data from this xyz.nef-file to the corresponding xyz_LR.tif-file in the same directory.
Since I add a "_LR" to mark the Lightroom-processed tifs it would be best if exiftool therefore could copy directly from xyz.nef to xyz_LR.tif instead of to xyz.tif since the xyz.tif also exits as output of non-Lightroom processing. If this feature might not be possible, of course I would also manage to handle with that "restriction"  :)

Thanks to all who are willing to help me!

Phil Harvey

Try renaming exiftool(-k).exe to this:

exiftool(-tagsfromfile %d%-.3f.nef -ext tif).exe

This will copy tags from NEF files (with the last 3 characters removed from the file name) to tiff files in the same directory.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

pemiwi

Hello Phil,
thanks for your fast reply!
When I try to drop my file "And_0607.NEF" to exiftool(-tagsfromfile %d%-.3f.NEF -ext tif -k).exe I get the reply "No file with specified extension". The file "And_0449_LR.tif" is in the same directory. If it is not possible to copy from ....NEF to ..._LR.tif then I would rename my NEF-File first to ..._LR.NEF, then copy tags from ..._LR.NEF to ..._LR.tif and afterwards rerename back to ....NEF.

Phil Harvey

The files to drop are the ones you want to change.  You're supposed to drop a tif file, or an entire folder.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

Quote from: pemiwi on May 25, 2017, 09:03:51 AM
When I try to drop my file "And_0607.NEF"
The file "And_0449_LR.tif" is in the same directory.

Are these the names of the files you want to copy between?  If you drop file "And_0449_LR.tif" onto Phil's command, it's going to look for "And_0449.Nef". 
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

pemiwi

Hello Phil,
It works perfectly and it helps me a lot!!!!
Thanks for that great tool and your superb support (I've just been on the donation page...).

Phil Harvey

pemiwi

Hello,
I have been using "exiftool(-tagsfromfile %d%f.NEF -ext jpg -overwrite_original).exe" for several years now to copy meta data from NEF files to JPG files via drag&drop.
Now I have a new tool in my workflow that seems to change the stored shooting data of my camera in some cases.
But with the mentioned exiftool command these camera data (e.g. ExposerCompensation) are apparently not transferred from the NEF file to the JPG file.
Is there a way to copy this shooting data as well? Ideally I would like to copy all the meta data (Exif, IPTC, XMP or whatever else there may be) present in the NEF file to the JPG, anything in the JPG can be completely removed before that.
Thanks for your support!!!!

Phil Harvey

That command should do it.  Specifically, ExposureCompensation should be copied from the NEF to the JPG with drag&drop and the arguments you mentioned.

- Phil

StarGeek

You could add -All:All (e.g. -tagsfromfile %d%f.NEF -All:All ) to make sure that tags end up in the same locations.  See second paragraph under the -TAG[+-^]=[VALUE] option.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

pemiwi

Hello Phil,
thank you very much for your quick reply.
Indeed ExifTool works correctly and copies all I need!
Now that I have looked at everything again in detail, I found another problem in my workflow that I could fix by myself.
Nevertheless, thanks again for the support!!!
Greetings,
pemiwi