'x' outside of string in unpack

Started by Hank, June 29, 2017, 10:46:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank

Hello,

Receiving the following error message when running exiftool:
'x' outside of string in unpack at /usr/local/share/perl/5.14.2/Image/ExifTool.pm line 4361

Version is 10.57.
No particular command beyond exiftool -r . 2>&1 > log.txt

This is happening on a few different file types on both Windows and Linux systems;
First time I noticed this problem is with Little-CMS' testbed ICC file toosmall.icc (https://github.com/mm2/Little-CMS/tree/master/testbed)
Another time, with Tiny.exe from PHP's project 5.2.38 (http://windows.php.net/downloads/releases/archives/php-5.3.28-src.zip)
php-5.3.28-src.zip\php-5.3.28-src\ext\standard\tests\file\windows_acls\tiny.exe

Thank you

Phil Harvey

Hi Hank,

Great!  Thanks for this report!  Two gold stars for you!!

This should be fixed in version 10.58 (just released).  Note that the fix applies only to EXE files and ICC_Profile metadata.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Hank

Testing 10.58 now; I'll run a few deeper tests over the weekend as well and report back success or further issues.

Thanks.

Hank

Ran a small test against 1.58 terabytes of data, and generated a 3.75gb log file.
A few small errors were found- nothing that caused a crash.
Use of uninitialized value $pos in numeric ge (>=) at /usr/local/share/perl/5.14.2/Image/ExifTool/Import.pm line 142.
Use of uninitialized value $pos in subtraction (-) at /usr/local/share/perl/5.14.2/Image/ExifTool/Import.pm line 144.

Not certain where the errors occurred with-in the test corpus.

Also, my IT guy would like to know if you have considered creating a Linux package / RPM for distribution?

Phil Harvey

Thanks.  I'll look into this.

There are various exiftool rpm's out there, but I don't know how up-to-date they are.  I haven't considered doing one myself since the standard Perl install is what I recommend for Linux.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).