adding metadata to nef file

Started by eve, August 08, 2017, 03:39:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eve

Hi,

I used ExifTool  for some for some time, but only via ExifToolGUI, I was always a bit scared off by having to use a command-line application, which I have no experience with. But to get further I finally dared to boldly go where everybody else seems to have gone before already and started using the ExifTool application directly to change the metadata. And already I have the first question.

I changed the by-line of jpg and nef files by using:
exiftool -iptc:By-line="eve" /Users/Eve/Pictures/test

When I compared the original pictures with the new ones through Anti-Twin (a software I use to find and delete duplicates) it showed the jpg-files to match almost completely, but the nef-files matched only 84%. Does adding metadata really change a nef file that much? And why just a nef file but not the jpg file?

Thank you for any explanation
eve

Phil Harvey

Hi Eve,

Things may move around when a file is rewritten.  FAQ 13 discusses some reasons for this.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

eve

Ah, that would explain that, thank you.

Thank you also for all the work you put into creating and maintaining ExifTool. You have been working at it for so long now and still keep answering all the questions you have probably answered many times before already.  :)

eve