Writing XMP to PDF files created with Microsoft Print to PDF fails

Started by Mac2, August 22, 2017, 03:07:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac2

My application uses ExifTool to write XMP data to PDF files. This usually works just great.
However, for PDF files created with the Microsoft "Print to PDF" print driver which is part of Windows 10, I get one or more errors/warnings from ExifTool:

Info object (17 0 obj) not found at 48889 - <File Name>
Root object (1 0 obj) not found at 4...

Since it's only the PDF produced by the MS Print Driver I assume that this is a problem in the Microsoft software.

I have prepared a one page example PDF which exhibits the problem. The ARGS I use are:

-overwrite_original_in_place
-charset
FILENAME=UTF8
-m
-ex
-sep

-XMP-xmp:Rating=4
-xmp:DocumentID=xmp.did:572f3069-dd75-44d1-b4aa-199fc644d9a3
-xmp:OriginalDocumentID=xmp.did:572f3069-dd75-44d1-b4aa-199fc644d9a3
-xmp:InstanceID=xmp.iid:21dd4775-5fc0-4cde-9783-65034e14f466
-XMP:MetadataDate=now
-XMP:ModifyDate=now

Phil Harvey

I'm sorry but it will be a while (probably about a month) before I can look into this in detail.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Mac2

Hi, Phil

no worries. Neither urgent nor important.
I just wanted to report this because it only happens with the built-in PDF printer in Windows. Not with PDF files produced by other software.

david.paulo

Hi,

I am having the same issue - has this been resolved yet?  I am using exiftool 10.80

Rgds

David

Phil Harvey

...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).