Main Menu

Apple Metadata error?

Started by bexelbie, December 04, 2017, 03:46:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bexelbie

I've been working with the separate JPG and MOV files generated on my iPhone 8 for live photos.  I believe that the Apple tags are incorrect in exiftool.  Looking at https://exiftool.org/TagNames/Apple.html I see that 0x0015 is ImageUniqueID.  Based on the photos in front of me, I believe it is actually 0x0011.

Further, I believe that the value in 0x0011 in the JPG is the same as the value in ContentIdentifier in the MOV file, allowing a link to be created between a still photo and it's associated live movie file.

What is the best way to continue to test my theory that this tag is incorrect in the JPG?  I haven't done any metadata work like this before.

Should we rename this tag ContentIdentifier to have it be consistent with the MOV tag?

Phil Harvey

Excellent, thanks!  This tag will be called ContentIdentifier in the next ExifTool release.

I can't find why I called 0x0015 ImageUniqueID.  In fact, right now I can't find that tag in any of my samples at all.  So any insight you can provide into the meanings of any of these tags would be appreciated.  Thanks.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

bexelbie

Thank you and good to hear.  While it is a simple fix, if getting a PR would be useful, please let me know.

Phil Harvey

...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

bexelbie

Pull Request ... or if you don't use that workflow, a patch.

Phil Harvey

Ah.  Thanks.  The change is trivial, so this isn't necessary.  I usually work on patches for more significant code submissions.

- Phil

xavHigher

Tried adding ContentIdentifier tag to a JPEG image, but only mentions file is unchanged :

exiftool -ContentIdentifier="2C58391B-C63D-47BE-9B25-BC40424AC9B5" -v2 /Users/user/Desktop/IMG_1234.jpg
Writing Apple:ContentIdentifier if tag exists
======== /Users/user/Desktop/IMG_1234.jpg
Rewriting /Users/user/Desktop/IMG_1234.jpg...
  Editing tags in: APP0 APP1 CIFF ExifIFD IFD0 JFIF MakerNotes
  Creating tags in:
JPEG APP0 (14 bytes):
  Rewriting JFIF
JPEG APP1 (2050 bytes):
  Rewriting IFD0
  Rewriting ExifIFD
  Rewriting MakerNoteApple
  Rewriting GPS
JPEG APP1 (2576 bytes):
JPEG APP13 (54 bytes):
JPEG APP2 (562 bytes):
JPEG SOF0:
JPEG DHT (29 bytes):
JPEG DHT (179 bytes):
JPEG DHT (29 bytes):
JPEG DHT (179 bytes):
JPEG DQT (65 bytes):
JPEG DQT (65 bytes):
JPEG DRI (2 bytes):
JPEG SOS
Nothing changed in /Users/user/Desktop/IMG_1234.jpg
    0 image files updated
    1 image files unchanged

Using exiftool 10.79. Is this normal? Thanks.

Phil Harvey

Makernote tags may note be added or deleted individually.

- Phil