Can't get GPS data from MOV

Started by lavAzza, December 26, 2017, 05:07:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

engdoug

I will make some tests here...

Somehow I guess that the Sony Software MUST be used to obtain/generate the video files to get the gps info on it ( If we just copy n paste the video file from camera SD (file I sent to you), It  don't work, I didn't figure out why yet )

Marlow

Apologies for reviving an old thread, but I did found this appropriate.

The Auto-Vox dashcams also store their GPS info in a MOV file. It does not seem, that the -ee option is able to extract them. I was using 11.73 of Exiftool and the appropriate gmx.fmt script for this.

A sample file from an Auto-Vox X1 Pro can be found at https://coyote.marlow.dk/~marlow/M0208A.MOV

I have both the X1 Pro and the X2 dashcam, so once it worked with one of them, I could test, that it works with other models. A solution for this would be very much appreciated.

/M

Phil Harvey

I have looked at the file you uploaded and can find no GPS track.  Are you sure the file contains one?  Do you have some software that will display the GPS from this video?  If so, can you post a link to I can download the software to try it out?

- Phil

Edit:  Looking at this again, I do see unreferenced GPS data in the file. I will see what I can do to decode this, and post back here when I have something.
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Phil Harvey

I am now able to decode the GPS from this video with the exception that I don't know where the N/S and E/W hemisphere information is stored (the coordinates are all positive, but the video is clearly from a west longitude).  Either I need a video shot in a different hemisphere, or an app to extract the GPS so I can reverse-engineer this.  I have tried the Auto-Vox app for both Mac and Windows, and neither version decodes the GPS from this video.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Phil Harvey

I've released ExifTool 11.74 with the ability to decode GPS from the file you provided, but I'm still unsure about the determination of the hemispheres so this may be wrong for other videos.

We're now up to 34 different formats of timed GPS that ExifTool extracts from videos.

- Phil

Marlow

I've used 11.74 and that works perfectly. Both for the Auto-Vox X1 Pro and the X2.

It seems there is no altitude data in the stream, which is a bit of a shame. I will have to doublecheck with their software, if they are recording that at all.

I'll also try either to get my X2 to somebody back home in Denmark to get a recording east of the meridian or I'll probably be over there myself in spring anyhow.

Everything else looks perfect. Thank you very much.

/M

Phil Harvey

Glad it works.  The record format was similar to another dashcam, which helped in decoding this, but the spot where the altitude should have been always had a value of 65535 for your file, so I didn't extract it.

- Phil

Marlow

Quote from: Phil Harvey on November 01, 2019, 09:22:19 AM
Glad it works.  The record format was similar to another dashcam, which helped in decoding this, but the spot where the altitude should have been always had a value of 65535 for your file, so I didn't extract it.

I figured as much. Auto-Vox own software does not display the altitude either, so I mailed them, asking them if it is possible to fix that. It would be nice to have.

The Auto-Vox dashcam does not display any of the telemetry data (apart from date and timestamp) in the video. Nor does it give the option to do so. Being able to export the GPS data and using something like Dashware or the likes, it can now be used to render videos like this: https://youtu.be/vNZ9VnZKY4A

It also allows to use the GPS track for example to improve Openstreetmaps, while having the video footage at hand to confirm, what is where. Really handy that.

I have poked a few people, that have published reviews of the dashcam, that are east of Greenwich. Hopefully that'll result in getting a raw MOV file from one of them and we should be able to find the hemisphere information then.

/M