Writing XMP to some EPS files make them not opening in PS

Started by ake, January 15, 2018, 07:34:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ake

Hello Phil,

I'm having problem at a customer site where writing XMP to some EPS'es make them fail to open in Photoshop (PS) with the error message "Could not complete your request because a JPEG marker segment length is too short (the file may be truncated or incomplete)." I wonder if this is due to badly written data by previous step in their workflow or due to Exiftool.

We write many tags to an image but even writing one makes it fail, e.g.:
exiftool -P -overwrite_original_in_place -xmp:ImageSource=D /tmp/PFFGD_001_MO_1197848DEZ0317.eps
    1 image files updated

Before my process writes XMP to the image, XMP has also been written to it by the customers "image system".
It's only EPS images that passes their "image system" that fails.
There servers run RHEL 7.2 with Exiftool version 10.74 (I also tested on MacOS 10.10.5, Exiftool version 10.73).
I'll send a download URL in a separate mail to you with image examples, both images that haven't and has been processed by their image system (but not by my process) and the Exiftool_config file.

Regards
Åke Samuelson

Phil Harvey

Hi Åke,

Could you email me the files directly?  I can't open your download link.

Thanks.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

ake

Hi Phil,

The images are +50MB each, tried to mail a different link, hope it works!

Regards
Åke

Phil Harvey

Hi Åke,

I got the files.

Here are my observations:

1. All 3 of the original files open OK in Apple Preview

2. None of the customer-modified files open in Apple Preview (they all give Postscript errors)

3. If I use ExifTool to edit the original files, all of the exiftool-modified files open OK in Apple Preview.

So my conclusion is that there is already a problem in the customer-modified files.

I tried also opening with Photoshop, and I can reproduce your observations.  Photoshop complains about a JPEG segment in a file that contains no JPEG information, so my guess is that somehow it is mis-identifiying the double-edited file.  But I'm not sure it is worth my time to track down the exact reason for this since it seems to stem from a problem in the customer-modified EPS.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

ake

Hi Phil,

Thank you for investigating this.

Regards
Åke