geotagging - no writable tags

Started by xabierr, January 12, 2018, 01:50:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xabierr

Im running exiftools 10.74 in windows 10.

I've extracted frames (image.jpg) from a video (mov) which I want to geotag. I have a gpx file (6aout.gpx) created using inverse geotagging from a set of images (geoimage.jpg).

When trying to geotag using: exiftool -geotag=6out.gpx image.jpg I get Warning: No writable tags

Is that because image.jpg dont have GPSLatitude GPSLongitude tags? If so, how can I copy those tags? And which tag should I use for Geotime?

Example files are attached.

Thanks for your help,

Javier

StarGeek

There is no timestamp in image.jpg.  Without a time stamp, there's no way for exiftool to figure out the position in the 6out.gpx track.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

xabierr

Can I create a timestamp from datemodified?

Phil Harvey

If you want to use the file modification date/time, you can do this:

exiftool -geotag=6out.gpx "-geotime<filemodifydate" -P image.jpg

If this doesn't work, see the Troubleshooting section here.  (Your question was point number 2 on this page.)

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

xabierr

Thanks for your replies.

I tried using filemodifydate but get:

Warning: Error opening GPS file 'D:\6out.gpx' in File:Geotag (ValueConvInv)
Warning: GPS track is empty in File:Geotime (ValueConvInv)
Nothing to do.

I created the log track as per the example:

exiftool -fileOrder FilemodifyDate -p gpx.fmt D:\images6a > D:\6aout.gpx

Do I need to fix the log track?

cheers,
Javier

Phil Harvey

Hi Javier,

You wrote "6aout.gpx", but you are trying to read "6out.gpx", which doesn't exist.  Make sure you use the correct file name.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

xabierr

Sorry yes about the typo but still getting an error:

Warning: Invalid date/time (use YYYY:mm:dd HH:MM:SS[.ss][+/-HH:MM|Z]) in File:Geotime (ValueConvInv)
    1 directories scanned
    0 image files updated
  532 image files unchanged

Phil Harvey

What is the value of DateTimeOriginal for the image?

exiftool -datetimeoriginal image.jpg

Unless you have copied a different tag to GeoTime, then the format of DateTimeOriginal must be wrong.

- Phil

xabierr

Image.jpg was extracted from a mov video. I thought I could set up the time using:

exiftool "-FileCreateDate-=00:00:02 7:38:00" D:\image.jpg

How can I create a valid time stamp?

cheers,

Javier

Phil Harvey

See point number 2 in the troubleshooting section here.

- Phil

xabierr

I was using "-geotime=filemodifydate" instead of "-geotime<filemodifydate" !!

Thanks for your patience and time!

cheers,

Javier