Main Menu

Modified meta

Started by ywgast, February 04, 2018, 12:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ywgast

I have a pdf file that I suspect has been altered (metadata) as the created date in acrobat pro is missing in the document properties (among other suspicions).

I am looking for any created, modified, date meta that I might be able to extract from the file.

What is the best datetime command code to extract as much from a pdf as possible? (mac terminal)

StarGeek

You can use this to get a lot of info out of the file.
exiftool -g1 -a -s

If the Linearized tag is set to "No", make a copy of the pdf and then run this on the copy
exiftool -pdf-update:all=

Then run the first command and compare the output.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Phil Harvey

Quote from: StarGeek on February 04, 2018, 01:23:24 PM
If the Linearized tag is set to "No", make a copy of the pdf and then run this on the copy
exiftool -pdf-update:all=

Then run the first command and compare the output.

Note that -pdf-update:all= will only have an effect if ExifTool was the software that altered the metadata.

To see as much of the PDF as possible, I add the -v3 option, but this output can be very lengthy and technical.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

Quote from: Phil Harvey on February 04, 2018, 01:35:05 PM
Note that -pdf-update:all= will only have an effect if ExifTool was the software that altered the metadata.

Ah, good to know.

Never mind then

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

ywgast

Hey guys,

Thanks for the quick replies. I tried the v3 and got some info from the file; though, I don't think it's exactly what I was looking for. Long story short, there are before and after pictures taken on a phone of a document. The wording in the pictures is different but the file itself says it has never been modified....

Data from the v3 run...

ExifToolVersion = 10.78
  FileName = ###########
  Directory = ###########
  FileSize = ##########
  FileModifyDate = 1517601407
  FileAccessDate = 1517771536
  FileInodeChangeDate = 1517603888

Then further down:

| 1)  CreateDate = (D:20110912143113Z)
  |     - Tag 'CreationDate', direct object
  | 2)  Creator = (FrameMaker 10.0)
  |     - Tag 'Creator', direct object
  | 3)  ModifyDate = (D:20110912143329-06'00')

Something did catch my eye though.... The format of the create date and modify date are different. One is in Z time, and the modify date is in corrected time.

StarGeek

Quote from: ywgast on February 04, 2018, 02:41:11 PM
Something did catch my eye though.... The format of the create date and modify date are different. One is in Z time, and the modify date is in corrected time.

As the base times were only 2 minutes, 16 seconds apart, I would consider that more an error in how the data was written rather than indication of modification at a much later date.