Main Menu

TAG[+-^] usage?

Started by enigmakv, February 08, 2018, 01:15:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enigmakv

I am attempting to clean up some PDF files before importing to iBooks on the Mac.

All I want to do is remove the "Description" of the file (which iBooks uses as a "Category" and makes sorting impossible).

I'd like to keep the "Description" tag in the metadata, only with a blank string.

Using Exiftool 10.55...

exiftool -Description^= myfilename.pdf

all I get back is...
"Warning: Tag 'Description^' is not defined
Nothing to do."

And the "Description" tag already exists.  It is right there in the Exiftool printout with a bunch of text that I just want to be blank.

Am I doing something wrong?  or is this not possible?

-k-

enigmakv

oops!  It looks like the ^= functionality became available some time AFTER version 10.55.

So my next question...

Why is the most recent Homebrew version of Exiftool still 10.55 when the current version is 10.78?

I love the ability of Homebrew to mostly automatically take care of updates and keeping software current and would prefer to keep using it.

StarGeek

From the exiftool version history

Note: The most recent production release is Version 10.55. (Other versions are considered development releases, and are not uploaded to CPAN.)
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

enigmakv

Phil Harvey

I plan to do a production release within a few weeks.  It is a bit overdue.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).