Bad Photoshop resource data size

Started by zevy, February 09, 2018, 05:00:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zevy

Hi everybody,

I'm new on this forum and I first want to congratulate for this great tool, that is very usefull in my daily professional job.

Therefore I'm facing an issue trying to extract IPTC metas from some jpeg files. I get following error : <ExifTool:Warning>Bad Photoshop resource data size 516</ExifTool:Warning> when calling exiftool.exe with following parameters : -charset filename=Latin -fast2 -X -sep || -q -b -u
However, I'm able to see ITPC metas when I use the ExifToolGUI.exe

I suppose meta have been corrupted by the soft that writed those metas.
Is there any possibility to extract IPTC metas through exiftool.exe ? With different parameters maybe ?

exiftool.exe version embedded in my programm is 10.16
ExifToolGUI.exe is 5.16 with exiftool 10.78

I posted the image in question.

Thanks in advance for you help

Phil Harvey

Adding -fast2 for this image prevents reading the trailer which contains the IPTC:

> exiftool -a -validate -warning ~/Desktop/example.jpg
Validate                        : 2 Warnings (1 minor)
Warning                         : Bad Photoshop resource data size 516
Warning                         : [minor] Non-standard IPTC at JPEG-Trailer-FotoStation-IPTC

The Photoshop resource error is preventing ExifTool from reading the standard IPTC in this file.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

zevy

Thanks for so quick answer,

however is it expected that the xml prefix is "IPTC2" on these metas ? Is there any way to force them being "ITPC" ?

Phil Harvey

It is IPTC2 because it is non-standard IPTC.  There is no way to change this in the -X output currently.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

zevy