jExifToolGUI: A java/Swing Windows/Linux/MacOS graphical frontend

Started by hvdwolf, June 28, 2020, 09:34:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimlad68

As previously stated I am an irregular user of ExifToolGUI and am hoping to move to the newer supported jExifToolGUI. So far I am hopeful but it does not seem as "rounded" as ExifToolGUI. e.g.
[] The file/thumbnail list
- without previews some of the filenames are truncated e.g.
20221005_173012=dpfr Hunter Wreck race=Bradfield, Hobson Moss-remains stone building=(JGO=@53.441684,-1.671593.jpg
truncates to
20221005_173012=dpfr Hunter Wreck race=Bradfield, Hobson Moss-remains stone 
- I cannot find a way to remove items
- the exiftoolGui offers file list with column details. The ideal would be to able to select items for columns, file and metadata, similar but better than xnview.

[] I prefer the general layout of ExifToolGUI.

For the present I think I will stay with ExifToolGUI, but will keep a hopeful eye out for jExifToolGUI

Bimbam

It is always complains to me that there is no internet. :(

hvdwolf

Version 2.0.2 released

After almost a year now as first thing a bugfix release. I had a difficult 2022 demotivating me for all my hobbies including this "hobby programming".
No further explanation for my long absence :).
As there were quite some bugs to fix, that is now the first release for 2023.

Releases page | Changelog
See my jExifToolGUI cross-platform java application (Website, Releases, Changelog) for Phil's marvelous exiftool.

StarGeek

Quote from: hvdwolf on March 18, 2023, 11:37:28 AMI had a difficult 2022 demotivating me for all my hobbies including this "hobby programming".

Hope things are going better.  Totally understand this.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

hvdwolf

Quote from: Bimbam on March 02, 2023, 06:59:07 AMIt is always complains to me that there is no internet. :(

Do you use a a proxy or private VPN?
See my jExifToolGUI cross-platform java application (Website, Releases, Changelog) for Phil's marvelous exiftool.

hvdwolf

Quote from: StarGeek on March 19, 2023, 12:06:30 PMHope things are going better.  Totally understand this.
Everything is fine now. Thanks for asking.

FBtje

I have a lot of images on my phone with the date format in the filename (for example: 20190228_201849.jpg), so I am looking for a way to use that date to copy it to different tags. Most often (for me) the date in the filename is the only date that is accurate, while the existing dates in the metatag data are a big mess. I installed this tool, but I can't find that specific function... any help appreciated!

Jan-61

Since some years I use jExiftoolGUI to insert lens-info in my Photographs with great pleasure.

I use version 1.8.1 because it shows info next to the thumbnails, like focal length.
Unfortunately this info lacks in newer versions, making it hardly usable to quickly add lens-info (i.e. that then I have to look up each file one for one to see which lens has been used).

Now I have been moved, I have to get jExiftoolGUI onto another pc. So I copied the whole folder with version 1.8.1 and created the same path to exiftool.exe.... BUT upon starting jExiftoolGUI the exiftool-lacking-error appears without any possibility to specify the correct path: after pressing OK the result is nothing. No jExiftoolGUI running.

So there seems to be no way being able using jExiftoolGUI on the new pc.

What to do?
Help would be highly appreciated!

Jan.

Newest Java version installed.

Tom Cunningham

Was there ever any resolution to the problem of multiple exiftool entries in the PATH variable on Windows? I tried putting a copy of exiftool.exe in the jExifToolGUI folder, but I still get the error "The ExifTool specified in your preferences does not exist." Naturally, I can't get to my preferences unless the program starts, which it doesn't. Here's the log entry:

#logback.classic pattern: %d{HH:mm:ss.SSS} [%thread] %-5level %logger{36} - %msg%n
22:12:23.175 [main] INFO  org.hvdw.jexiftoolgui.Application - Start application jExifToolGUI
22:12:23.175 [main] INFO  org.hvdw.jexiftoolgui.Application - Continuing in system language or, if not translated, in English
22:12:24.530 [AWT-EventQueue-0] INFO  org.hvdw.jexiftoolgui.mainScreen - string for DB: C:\Users\Tom\jexiftoolgui_data\jexiftoolgui.db

That's all I get.

hvdwolf

Development has stopped.
Apologies to all users.

Unfortunately I can't edit the first post anymore.

Since about a year I stopped active development of jExifToolGUI and also lost all interest in "special" photography like animal, bird and panorama photography. I sold all my equipment and got myself an expensive smartphone with good main lens, ultrawide and 3x tele which fits my needs on hikes/walks, travels and holidays, but doesn't require any progam other than Google Photos (for example).
Last months not so serious but annoying and "not going away" health issues, also made me focus on things I now consider more important.

I know there are bugs in the program and I know there are still things that can be improved. And there are users asking for more functionality.
So again: apologies for leaving it in this state where some users stumble on serious bugs or not completed functionality, but at the same time in a state where most users can easily and comfortably use it.

If someone wants to take over, please let me know and I give full access to the repository. It is 100% open source anyway. Or you simply fork it and continue it in your own way.

Thanks for your support and I hope you understand.

(I was never interested in donations and in all those years, I received an amount to go 2~3 times out on diner with my wife (combined with my other open source projects), so please do not expect or require me to finish something)