Conditional -if to use “contains” rather than “equals”?

Started by Stephen Marsh, April 04, 2018, 09:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StarGeek

It matters when you are using -execute.  It's more in the details of -execute and -common_args than it is an effect of -r.  When you use -execute, the command only accounts for any options up until that point.  After the -execute, it's an entirely new command and will not use any options from before the -execute.  That's why if you are using an -execute option and want to recurse through all commands, you need to put the -r after a -common_args, so it is common to all of the commands.

Here's a simple example, where the -r is right at the start of the command.  Notice how there is no recursion after the -execute.

C:\>exiftool -echo "Before Execute" -r -filename  Y:\!temp\y -execute -echo "After Execute" -filename  Y:\!temp\y
Before Execute
======== Y:/!temp/y/Test1/Img01.jpg
File Name                       : Img01.jpg
======== Y:/!temp/y/Test2/Img01.jpg
======== Y:/!temp/y/Test3/Img01.jpg
    4 directories scanned
    3 image files read
After Execute
    1 directories scanned
    0 image files read
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Stephen Marsh

Thank you StarGeek.

So even if this is the only exception to the "rule" for recursive scans, I "can't go wrong" if I just add -r command as the last argument before DIR, whether or not I am using -execute and -common_args. I'm just trying to come up with a fool proof way to use recursive scanning without having to remember the exceptions and edge cases where it does matter.

So both of these should be equivalent commands if I understand you correctly:

exiftool -if '$HasRealMergedData eq "No"' -directory=%d'Max Compatibility Off' -execute -if '$AlphaChannelsNames =~ /Transparency/' -directory=%d'Transparent Images' -common_args -r DIR

vs.

exiftool -r -if '$HasRealMergedData eq "No"' -directory=%d'Max Compatibility Off' -execute -r -if '$AlphaChannelsNames =~ /Transparency/' -directory=%d'Transparent Images' -common_args DIR

Notice the use of 2 -r commands in the second example.

Phil Harvey

Quote from: Stephen Marsh on April 10, 2018, 11:58:22 PM
I "can't go wrong" if I just add -r command as the last argument before DIR

Correct.

QuoteSo both of these should be equivalent commands if I understand you correctly:

Yes.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Stephen Marsh