News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

Test File Args file

Started by StarGeek, May 20, 2018, 03:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StarGeek

Added a small jpg with all the data embedded for ease of use.  It needs to be zipped due to the security checks of the forum.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

blue-j

Thanks so much for making this file!!!  This will leap us forward!  : )

- J

ScannerBoy

Resurrecting this thread, if that is OK?
Just came across it, as I was attempting to write metadata to some of my files and wanted to see if I understood the process.
The data covered looks very comprehensive, but it seems to me that none of the alternate language possibilities, or UTF-8 outside the plain ASCII range, are covered.
I may well have missed those as I am much a newb on the subject, but it is of major interest to me since my main application is for genealogy and 'foreign' languages seem inevitable.

The best place to locate which tags can accept such 'esoteric' data would probably be the comprehensive list on the Exiftool pages, but it is the proper application for writing the data which, at this stage, is not at all obvious to me.

It seems that images with such strings/data are rather scarce and hard to find.
Running under Win 10, ET 12.15

StarGeek

Quote from: ScannerBoy on July 08, 2021, 12:22:43 PM
but it seems to me that none of the alternate language possibilities, or UTF-8 outside the plain ASCII range, are covered.

No, they're not part of it.  I use this test file to see what tags that a program can read, not to see if they can read alternate languages.  It figures out data like this

QuoteThe best place to locate which tags can accept such 'esoteric' data would probably be the comprehensive list on the Exiftool pages, but it is the proper application for writing the data which, at this stage, is not at all obvious to me.

It seems that images with such strings/data are rather scarce and hard to find.

I'm not sure what the question is here.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

ScannerBoy

Quote from: StarGeek on July 08, 2021, 12:29:27 PM

No, they're not part of it.  I use this test file to see what tags that a program can read, not to see if they can read alternate languages.  It figures out data like this
Not trying to be difficult, but those alternate languages are an important part of the standards, and if these were covered by a 'test' program or data set, it would make it much more valuable
Quote from: StarGeek on July 08, 2021, 12:29:27 PM

I'm not sure what the question is here.
It is more of an explanation, rather than a question, but if anyone can point me to either sample images or more details, I would be very grateful.
Frustratingly enough, even the IPTC sample images stick to plain ASCCI text strings
See: https://www.iptc.org/std/photometadata/examples/

StarGeek

Quote from: ScannerBoy on July 08, 2021, 12:44:51 PMNot trying to be difficult, but those alternate languages are an important part of the standards, and if these were covered by a 'test' program or data set, it would make it much more valuable

This file isn't meant to test standards.  It's basically a quick and easy FAQ #3 test file.  It already contains far more tags than most people will ever use.

And the lang-alt are rarely used by most people.  The only place I've seen them used is GettyImages and even then it's pretty rare.  And if someone needs to test lang-alt tags, it's easy enough to create a test.  Just take any XMP tag that is listed as lang-alt writable, add a dash and a ISO 639 language code.  For example
exiftool -Description-fra="French Description" file.jpg

See the 5th paragraph on the XMP tags page.

The lang-alt tags are extremely fragile, though.  I don't know of any program that allows editing of them.  A quick test with Adobe Bridge showed that in any change to the main tag caused the lang-alt tags to be overwritten with the new data.  I don't know if other Adobe products will do the same or not.

QuoteIt is more of an explanation, rather than a question, but if anyone can point me to either sample images or more details, I would be very grateful.
Frustratingly enough, even the IPTC sample images stick to plain ASCCI text strings

I believe FAQ #10 will cover this.

ScannerBoy

This file isn't meant to test standards.  It's basically a quick and easy FAQ #3 test file.  It already contains far more tags than most people will ever use.
Agreed, but it is very useful for that purpose and I am very pleased to have found it. Thank you for setting it up & posting it.
And the lang-alt are rarely used by most people.  The only place I've seen them used is GettyImages and even then it's pretty rare.  And if someone needs to test lang-alt tags, it's easy enough to create a test.  Just take any XMP tag that is listed as lang-alt writable, add a dash and a ISO 639 language code.  For example
exiftool -Description-fra="French Description" file.jpg
See the 5th paragraph on the XMP tags page.
I will certainly work with this
The lang-alt tags are extremely fragile, though.  I don't know of any program that allows editing of them.
That is at the root of my problem. I do need the facility and have looked a fair bit, but without much luck.
Some programs claim to handle these type of strings, but it seems the command line version of Exiftool is about the only one I have found reliable enough to use as my 'standard' - but see below
QuoteA quick test with Adobe Bridge showed that in any change to the main tag caused the lang-alt tags to be overwritten with the new data.  I don't know if other Adobe products will do the same or not.
Yes, I have had my issues with the Adobe toolkit over the very same issues.
I believe FAQ #10 will cover this.
Thank you, yes it does explain a lot.
At the same time, I realize that I have to learn a whole lot myself and working under Windows is a severe handicap, especially with respect to these language and encoding issues.
Even running Exiftool at the command prompt is very confusing and sometimes downright wrong in this respect, because both the plain DOS box and Powershell are very deficient when it comes to handling foreign character sets.
If it weren't for the excellent debugger of MSVC, I am sure I'd be running some Linux flavor.
Still looking for alternatives to Powershell and I have experimented some with M$'s latest shell(s), but without much luck so far. :( >:(