-geosync and -globalTimeShift not used when using -geotag

Started by simao, May 25, 2018, 08:45:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

simao

Hi,

I am trying to set the gps info for a number of images using a set of .gpx files. The images are time stamped in UTC+10, the gpx files are time stamped using UTC. My laptop is set to UTC+2.

Using the following commands, exiftool ignores -geosync and -globalTimeShift:

exiftool -overwrite_original -geosync=+8:00 -geotag '/home/simao/tracks/*.gpx'  IMG_{5610..5815}.JPG

exiftool -overwrite_original -globalTimeShift -8 -geotag '/home/simao/tracks/*.gpx'  IMG_{5610..5815}.JPG

I was able to make this work shifting the times manually:

exiftool -alldates-=8 -overwrite_original IMG_{5610..5815}.JPG

exiftool -overwrite_original -geotag '/home/simao/tracks/*.gpx'  IMG_{5610..5815}.JPG

exiftool -alldates+=8 -overwrite_original IMG_{5610..5815}.JPG

Is this a problem with exiftool or am I doing something wrong?

I am using exiftool 10.80 on Linux.

Thanks

Phil Harvey

The Geosync tag accepts a value in the form "[+-][[[DD ]HH:]MM:]SS[.ss]", so a value of "+8:00" is interpreted as "+MM:SS", for an offset of 8 minutes.  I think you want 8 hours:

exiftool -overwrite_original -geosync=+8:00:00 -geotag '/home/simao/tracks/*.gpx' IMG_{5610..5815}.JPG

You're right that the GlobalTimeShift doesn't apply by default because the default GeoTime is set to "DateTimeOriginal#" (ie. the unformatted/unshifted DateTimeOriginal).  To apply the GlobalTimeShift, you would do this:

exiftool -overwrite_original -globalTimeShift -8 -geotag '/home/simao/tracks/*.gpx' '-geotime<datetimeoriginal' IMG_{5610..5815}.JPG

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).