News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

Preview pane empty for RAW files??

Started by capricorn, June 13, 2018, 05:47:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

capricorn

I am not using ExifToolGUI on a daily basis, but at times I do and appreciate how useful it is. Lately the preview pane is empty; I could swear that it was not always like this. I'm dealing with ORF (Olympus RAW), but I can't see a preview for eg CR2 as well. Only for JPG and TIF the preview pane shows an image.

Is this a problem, or am I just wrong and preview pane doesn't work for RAW files?

I'm running Windows 10 build 17134 and the latest versions of ExifToolGUI and Exiftool.

Thanks
Karsten

capricorn

I was able to solve the issue by reinstalling the FastPictureViewer codecs that I use to display RAW thumbnails throughout Windows. My Windows was recently upgraded to Spring Creator 1803, maybe during this operation codecs were disabled / overwritten by others that are not capable to display ORF.

castellum

Just read this one searching for a solution.
Had the same problem.

If you run the Gui 'As Administrator' it runs fine

obetz

Quote from: castellum on May 22, 2019, 08:38:51 AM
Had the same problem.

If you run the Gui 'As Administrator' it runs fine

Are you sure you have the same problem as the original poster?

This means, you run Bogdan's ExiftoolGUI v5.16 to view raw files, and you don't see a preview unless you run it as admin?

Hard to believe that raw preview should depend on admin rights.

I'm a little allergic to "run as admin" recommendations, so would you mind to give more details?

Which OS, which RAW format, which codec extension, where did you put ExiftoolGUI?

castellum

Sorry, i did not have notifications 'ON'

Only just read this one.
All I know is that It did not work in normal mode but as soon as I run it as admin it does work.

What information do you need?

obetz

Quote from: castellum on August 03, 2019, 08:14:18 AM
All I know is that It did not work in normal mode but as soon as I run it as admin it does work.

What information do you need?

the information needed is what your exact problem was. You write "It did not work in normal mode" without describing what you mean by It.

Was your problem exactly that ExifToolGUI stopped showing preview images for raw images?