Photoshop Keywords for Flickr

Started by JUZZA, June 21, 2018, 05:50:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JUZZA

Using the following command it's writing the keywords and title for me inside the Photoshop file (PSD) and when the data is standard letters there is no problem.  However, as soon as some of the data has accents it's not being interpreted correctly into Photoshop.  I have no idea what character set is required so wondered if anyone else knew what I needed to do.

"B:\exiftool.exe" -overwrite_original -Keywords+="Auguste Lumière" -Keywords+="Jeanne-Joséphine Lumière" -Keywords+="Louis Lumière" -Keywords+="Côte d'Azur" -Keywords+="France" -Keywords+="Movie Location" -Keywords+="Film location" -Keywords+="Movie" -Keywords+="Film" -IPTC:ObjectName="The Arrival of a Train at La Ciotat (1896) Filming Location" "B:\Film, Historical and Landmark Locations\Film\France\Photoshop\the_arrival_of_a_train_at_la_ciotat@station.psd"

When I load Photoshop and check the metadata it looks like this:

Auguste LumiÞre; Jeanne-JosÚphine LumiÞre; Louis LumiÞre; C¶te d'Azur; France; Movie Location; Film location; Movie; Film

Any ideas?

UPDATE:  I know it would be something simple but just where to make the change for it to work.  I assumed you could do this as part of the command line but to fix it I just changed the Windows Console character set to 1252

Phil Harvey

Try reading FAQ 10, and playing with the -charset and -charset iptc=XXX options, and setting the CodedCharacterSet tag.

But I would recommend using XMP:Subject instead of IPTC:Keywords.  IPTC is notoriously unreliable for special characters.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).