Changing the TAG Title on an MP4 File

Started by CambridgeChris, June 26, 2018, 12:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CambridgeChris

I am trying to change the Title of an MP4 file using the Windows 10 command line as follows:-
exiftool -Title="New Name" "Path\Filename"
Everything seems to work as I get a message saying "1 image file updated" But when I look a the file in File Explorer, the old file is there marked as original but without the old Title. The updated file still has the old title and not my "New Name".

Any suggestions please.

Many thanks

StarGeek

Exiftool has limited ability to write video metadata.  For the most part, it can only write XMP metadata in MOV and MP4 but not many programs will read that metadata (Adobe being a big exception).  The Title tag that Windows is reading is probably a Quicktime tag.  Your best bet is probably to look into FFMpeg.  The basic command would be something like
ffmpeg -i InputFile -metadata key=value -codec copy OutputFile

So you would change key=value to Title="New Name"

Check Stackexchange for more examples and see the ffmpeg docs on Stream Copy and -Metadata option.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

CambridgeChris

Many thanks for your suggestion to try ffmpeg. It certainly did the trick. I have several hundred mp4 files whose title needs to changed (via a cmd file) and it would beneater if I could update the title in place and not generate a fresh mp4 file. Might this be possible?

Many thanks

StarGeek

Not with ffmpeg, it always generates a new file.  But search around on the net and you should be able to find scripts that will do batch changes and remove the old copy if the new copy is successful.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

CambridgeChris

Thanks again. I should be able to code it myself.  :)

jchin

Quote from: StarGeek on June 26, 2018, 02:25:28 PM
Exiftool has limited ability to write video metadata.  For the most part, it can only write XMP metadata in MOV and MP4 but not many programs will read that metadata (Adobe being a big exception).  The Title tag that Windows is reading is probably a Quicktime tag.  Your best bet is probably to look into FFMpeg.  The basic command would be something like
ffmpeg -i InputFile -metadata key=value -codec copy OutputFile

So you would change key=value to Title="New Name"

Check Stackexchange for more examples and see the ffmpeg docs on Stream Copy and -Metadata option.

Thank you for this.  I will definitely look into ffmpeg.
I have a bunch of MP4 files that have Title fields and I've been manually clearing out in Windows Explorer and it is a pain doing it.

bobSclob

Hopefully I'll get a reply on this aged topic...

I have tens of thousands of media files. Periodically, I need to find one - U know, to have a look at for some reason. I use Windoze 10 File Explorer to browse these files and it's Search tool. I'm OK with it. Generally I know only a customer name when I sit down and limber up my fingers for the search. My media files are automatically named something like 20180904_131600.jpg or 20180924_095323.mp4 or shipping-label_20180322_083015.pdf. I like the filename format. Some of them include date and time info. This makes for easy sorting and grouping by filename. I don't want to change a filename from shipping-label_20180322_083015.pdf to shipping-label_20180322_083015_Bob_Jones.pdf. I prefer to stick customer names in a metadata field.

Most of the files show a customer name and address when opened for viewing. If I've taken the trouble to rite-clik a file in Windoze Explorer, choose Properties, then Details and type something like "Samuel T Kadiddlewick" in the Title field in Description section, then Windoze File Explorer is kind enuff to find the file when I Search for it typing "Kadiddle" or "wick" or "diddle" or "Kadiddlewick" in the Search box. It is a MAJOR pain in the butt to jump through all of Windoze Ten's hoops just to get a customer's  name into the metadata Title field. It would take years to get all my files updated with customer name in one of the metadata fields. I've found the Title field to be the most reliable.

I would love a tool that allowed me to browse pictures, type a customer name in a field and click a button to add that customer name to the Title metadata field automatically. Can I do this with exiftool?

StarGeek

Quote from: bobSclob on November 21, 2018, 02:05:32 PM
I would love a tool that allowed me to browse pictures, type a customer name in a field and click a button to add that customer name to the Title metadata field automatically. Can I do this with exiftool?

Based upon the two points I highlighted in you question, then exiftool probably wouldn't be the tool for you.  It's a command line program.  You can take a look at the Related Utilities list, which has some GUI interfaces for exiftool.

You might also take a look at Adobe Bridge, which is free and will allow you to browse files and add metadata.

The one major problem is going to be the .mp4 files, which was the point of this thread.  Adobe Bridge (and exiftool) can add XMP:Title to the file, but Windows doesn't read that tag (or any other xmp tag in videos).  It only reads the Quicktime:Title tag.  As mentioned above, FFMpeg, a command line tool, can change this (and other Quicktime) tag.  But it is very complex and has a steep learning curve.

You might look at VLC media player.  Load up a video, go to the Tools Menu->Media Information or hit Control+I, and that will bring up a dialog that will let you edit the Title tag.