Exiftool only extracts the first 32 characters of IPTC field

Started by sripvk1234, July 11, 2018, 04:16:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sripvk1234

I have tried extracting metadata for the attached sample file. For one of the IPTC filed Credit/Credit Line i have the original value as "Alejandra Velez for the Getty Conservation Institute", but after extracting with exiftool the value is getting truncated and the value is extracted as "Alejandra Velez for the Getty Co" i.e, only the first 32 characters are retrieved.

Is there is a way in exiftool to ignore the 32-character limit? Do we require to pass any extra parameters while executing the command?

Exiftool version : 10.48
Command Used : exiftool <image> > C:\exifoutput.txt

Please find the image file and output file in the below location:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/16y8X7JtAbbVbUirucbkaKpHXMoojcsCJ?usp=sharing

Alan Clifford

exiftool -credit -G -a SRP_WrkSh1.tiff
[XMP]           Credit                          : Alejandra Velez for the Getty Conservation Institute
[IPTC]          Credit                          : Alejandra Velez for the Getty Co

Alan Clifford

Running strings on your file indicates to me that the data in the iptc tag is truncated in the file itself rather than in the output.

cellini:temp alan$ strings SRP_WrkSh1.tiff | grep -i Velez
   photoshop:Credit="Alejandra Velez for the Getty Conservation Institute">
     <rdf:li>Alejandra Velez</rdf:li>
Alejandra Velez
Alejandra Velez
Alejandra Velez for the Getty Co

ryerman

Quote from: sripvk1234 on July 11, 2018, 04:16:39 AM
Is there is a way in exiftool to ignore the 32-character limit? Do we require to pass any extra parameters while executing the command?
To see all the tags, use this:
exiftool -a -G1 -s  <image> > C:\exifoutput.txt
See here: https://exiftool.org/faq.html#Q3

To ignore the IPTC length limit when writing to a file, use the -m option:
exiftool -m "-IPTC:Credit=lots of characters" <image>
Windows 10 Home 64 bit, Exiftool v12.61

StarGeek

The IPTC tag specification defining Credit give it a 32 character limit (see IPTC tags).  As ryerman said, you can override this with the -m option.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).