Main Menu

out.txt file missing

Started by athegn, August 24, 2018, 02:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

athegn

I am being a really silly boy.

My opening post said:-

I have exiftool installed on my desktop at:

I don't actually have it installed in Windows just an icon on my Desktop.

Should I install it in Windows and if so how?

Have I downloaded the correct file?

Phil Harvey

...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

athegn

I have followed those steps, have rebooted pc, used exiftool -ver and got 11.10.

In C:\Windows\exiftool.exe Details File version  11.1.0.0
File size 8,366,080 bytes

Dragged Matching images file over bat icon but still Out.csv only shows

C:\Users\alanf\Desktop> in cell A1?

Phil Harvey

Maybe try changing the .bat file to this, just to be sure you are executing the correct exiftool:

C:\WINDOWS\exiftool.exe -csv -gpslatitude -gpslongitude %* > C:\Users\alanf\Desktop\out.csv

Also, I have set the path to the output .csv file to your desktop because I don't know where it would go when you run the .bat by dragging and dropping.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

Quote from: Phil Harvey on August 27, 2018, 01:20:24 PM
Also, I have set the path to the output .csv file to your desktop because I don't know where it would go when you run the .bat by dragging and dropping.

In the batch file I created at the start of this, it would end up in the parent directory of the directory I dropped onto the batch file.  Which, in the case of dropping a desktop directory would be harder to find.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

athegn

Get different result now.

Drag Matching file over bat icon. Quick flash of command prompt  then nothing.

bat file contents

C:\WINDOWS\exiftool.exe -csv -gpslatitude -gpslongitude %* >
C:\Users\alanf\Desktop\out.csv

Sorry but got chased out to go to dinner; better come back tomorrow.

StarGeek

Put
pause
on a new line at the end of the batch file.  I was able to get it to flash like that while testing and it meant that it wasn't able to find exiftool.  The pause command will hold the window open long enough to be able to read the output, which should be an error of some sort.  You can then copy/paste it here.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

athegn

Sorry for my late return to this; went hiking for few days - the images I am looking at are hiking images.

Anyway, as expected, my fault.

I had:-

C:\WINDOWS\exiftool.exe -csv -gpslatitude -gpslongitude %* >
C:\Users\alanf\Desktop\out.csv

Not:-

C:\WINDOWS\exiftool.exe -csv -gpslatitude -gpslongitude %* > C:\Users\alanf\Desktop\out.csv

i.e. all on one line.

Now have my spreadsheet with the required information.

Thank you for your patience.

Rudy

Who says reading the forums for your answer never works? This is what I needed! Between StarGeek's
Quotebuild a batch file
and Phil Harvey's
QuoteC:\WINDOWS\exiftool.exe -csv -gpslatitude -gpslongitude %* > C:\Users\alanf\Desktop\out.csv
I got everything I needed -- a file with FILENAME, LAT, LONG for everything I drop on it.  Thanks guys!!