Fixing Maker Notes Offset Permanently

Started by kinsham, June 06, 2020, 09:34:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kinsham

I am a newcomer to ExifTool so came to the post linked below whilst having a problem with GeoTag (http://geotag.sourceforge.net/) not being able to write back added GPS info. This app just refuses to update the file with no diagnostics if the makernotes offset is incorrect. I'm guessing that previous editing has done this without my realizing it at the time.

This works great on a single file basis but I was wondering if I could scan a directory tree for files with broken makernotes offset and fix them in one operation?

I have 10K+ files and and don't know which are broken though I do know that there is a mix of good/bad. Manually checking each file is not feasible.

I've experimented with some commandline options but haven't been able to find the right answer.

https://exiftool.org/forum/index.php?topic=1646.0

[10:06 phil:~/source/exiftool_cvs]% ./exiftool a.jpg -filename -warning -a -S
FileName: a.jpg
Warning: [minor] Possibly incorrect maker notes offsets (fix by -275?)
Warning: Invalid CanonCameraSettings data
Warning: Invalid CanonShotInfo data
Warning: Invalid CanonPictureInfo data
[10:06 phil:~/source/exiftool_cvs]% ./exiftool a.jpg -tagsfromfile @ -makernotes -F
Warning: [minor] Adjusted MakerNotes base by -275 - a.jpg
    1 image files updated
[10:06 phil:~/source/exiftool_cvs]% ./exiftool a.jpg -filename -warning -a -S
FileName: a.jpg
[10:06 phil:~/source/exiftool_cvs]%

-Chris-

StarGeek

See FAQ #15.

Personally, I would separate those files out and make a backup before trying to correct them.  Then double check to make sure the files still worked.

You could get a list of the problem files with
exiftool -g1 -a -s -if "$Warning=~/maker ?notes/i" -Warning /path/to/files/

or separate them out with
exiftool -g1 -a -s -if "$Warning=~/maker ?notes/i" -Directory=/problem/files/ /path/to/files/
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).