ExifToolGUI - Unable to load Google Maps

Started by prettypixel, November 17, 2018, 08:44:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

prettypixel

I am running ExifToolGUI version 5.16.0.0 and ExifTool version 11.18, on my Windows 10 laptop. All was well until recently, when I was suddenly unable to view Google Maps in ExifToolGUI application. I am still able to paste in co-ordinates, but would like to get the maps view working again.

The message I see when clicking on the GoogleMap tab is, "This page can't load Google Maps correctly."

For information, I have followed the steps here, to no avail: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/google-maps-fix-for-registratorviewer-windows.27756/

I would be grateful for advice on how to fix this issue. Thanks in advance.

StarGeek

Google apparently changed some things about Google maps a few months ago.  The pricing model changed and some programs can no longer use the API for free.  Geosetter has that problem now, as detailed here.  Since ExiftoolGUI is no longer supported, this may not be fixable.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

prettypixel

OK. Thank you for the reply and explanation :)

Phil Harvey

FYI: Here is the new Google Maps pricing FAQ, and here is the detailed pricing sheet.

(I really object to this strategy of sucking people into using a free service then charging for it after they have already developed software that relies on this service.  Shame on Google.)

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Alan Clifford

I wonder if this will become a significant cost to Nikon as their free View NX uses Google maps.