GPS data from DOD dashcam

Started by toasty, November 20, 2018, 08:46:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toasty

Hello, I have a DOD LS588W dashcam that was bought from JD.com, it is sold only inside China. It produces good quality video, was cheap and has GPS, embedding the coordinates and speed into the video. But I think it is not saving the GPS data in the meta-data. I dug up the exiftool command from another post:

$ exiftool -ee "-gps*" FILE

but it returns nothing. Does this means that the camera is not saving the GPS in the meta-data?

Is there any way to extract the GPS and speed information from the video stream using OCR, and/or Exiftool?

What I am looking for is a way to extract the GPS coordinates from the video into a file, and then to use that file to display the location on a map that is either combined with the video itself or saved separately. 

Thanks

Phil Harvey

Quote from: toasty on November 20, 2018, 08:46:42 AM
Does this means that the camera is not saving the GPS in the meta-data?

No.  ExifTool currently extracts 20 different types of streaming GPS metadata from video files.  Who knows, this could be the 21st type.  If you send me a small sample I'll take a look to see if there is any undecoded GPS in the file. (philharvey66 at gmail.com).  If they are smart, they would put it in a subtitle track, which you may be able to see with exiftool -text -ee FILE, but there are other places it could be as well.

QuoteIs there any way to extract the GPS and speed information from the video stream using OCR, and/or Exiftool?

I don't know of any way to do this.  Certainly not with ExifTool.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Phil Harvey

I got your sample.

Good news:  ExifTool now decodes 21 different types of streaming GPS from videos.   :)

ExifTool 11.20 (just released) will decode the GPS from your file.

This turned out to be essentially the same as another type of streaming binary GPS, but with a different block size.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

toasty

I've downloaded and tried exiftool 11.20 and it works with the videos from my dashcam. Amazing response time, many thanks Phil!