News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

A Very Basic Question on Dates

Started by HappyFrog, December 05, 2018, 01:54:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HappyFrog

Hi all,

This is probably a very basic question but I'm currently tearing my hair out trying to solve it.

I have a batch of files that I am uploading to Amazon Photos for backup in the cloud. Most of the photos show perfectly and are sorted in the correct date order based on when they were taken.

However a number of file are recorded as "No Date" and are all dumped together regardless of which month/year they were taken.

I have checked some of the obvious date metadata and all seems to be correct but there are quite a few differences between the EXIF data on the photos that do work and those that don't.

I've attached the EXIFTOOL data dumps for a couple of files, one that works and one that doesn't, and would really appreciate any guidance to save any more hair lose.

Thanks in advance
Steve

Phil Harvey

Hi Steve,

I don't see anything obvious.  What is the output of this command for the files?:

exiftool -a -G1 -validate -warning -time:all FILE

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

HappyFrog

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the quick response.

I've attached the two files for reference but it seems clear from the NotWorkingFile where the problem may lie as there are four elements that are missing but required.

I'll use these to learn a little more about EXIFTOOL and get them rewritten - hopefully this will resolve things and let Amazon Photos sort the files properly.

Thanks again.
Steve

Phil Harvey

Hi Steve,

Yes, it could be that ExifVersion is significant.  I would try writing that to see if it helps.

If that doesn't do it, you can use ExifTool to copy the metadata from a good file to a bad file to figure out what fixes it.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

HappyFrog

Hi Phil,

Will do.

Thanks again, really appreciate the help and input.

Steve