Placing the copyright symbol in the Copyright field

Started by AlanX, December 06, 2018, 05:50:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlanX

I know this has been broached before, but my searches here only show old topics, with no real definitive solution. Has this been nailed down yet, or is in an ongoing question?
I've tried the option -charset exif=latin1, but am not sure what I need to put in to create the actual symbol itself. Alt0169 doesn't work. IFD0:Copyright=© doesn't seem to work.
So is there a once-size-fits-all solution? Can anyone spell out what options (if any) I need to specify, and exactly what I need to enter for the symbol itself. I'm trying to put in the copyright symbol followed by the contents of the Creator field. If someone tells me it still can't really be done, I can at least stop trying!
Please be kind to me - I'm a total novice here!

Phil Harvey

EXIF:Copyright is specified as being ASCII, although the MWG specification recommends accepting UTF-8 in EXIF ASCII tags.

I'm not sure the problem you have, but this will write the copyright symbol as UTF-8:

exiftool -copyright="©" -E FILE

Or add -charset exif=latin to store it as latin.

But I would recommend using XMP:Rights instead of EXIF:Copyright since the encoding of XMP is not ambiguous.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).