Mac- adjusting 1 hour and running from photo directory, leaving mod date intact

Started by rudestar, December 11, 2018, 12:03:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rudestar

Hey Folks,

sadly, no person that will is on, or will ever be on Earth is worse at command line than I. It's just how it is. Also, I hunt and peck type so I =will= get the path wrong.  I want to adjust the photos by an hours, the auto-adjust for DST didn't work! Also, I'm sure if I try to do this I will manage to change not only all the OS file dates, but something in the fabric of the Universe as well. Dinosaurs went extinct? yeah, that was me and my fumble fingers. Sorry!!

So:

Can I just navigate to the directory and run Exiftool from there? without a path? or maybe just with .. ?

Can someone throw up the line for subtracting 1 hour but leaving the mod date intact? There was some pitfall about doing it on a Mac.

I'd hate to be responsible for all cows blinking out of existence....

:)

-Rudy

StarGeek

Quote from: rudestar on December 11, 2018, 12:03:55 AM
Can I just navigate to the directory and run Exiftool from there? without a path? or maybe just with .. ?

Close.  It's just a single dot . to indicate the current directory.  This is a common way to do things and there are some things that just have to be done that way.

QuoteCan someone throw up the line for subtracting 1 hour but leaving the mod date intact? There was some pitfall about doing it on a Mac.

Someone with Mac experience will have to help you there.  But take a look at the Overwrite_Original option and the two options that follow it on the docs page (-overwrite_original_in_place and -P (preserve) option).
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Phil Harvey

Hi Rudy,

You want to subtract 1 hour from the file modification date/time?:

exiftool -filemodifydate-=1 DIR

instead of typing "DIR", just drag and drop a folder onto the Terminal window.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).